Washington Insurance Adjuster License

Written by: Kevelyn Rodriguez

Last updated:

Washington Insurance Adjuster License

Getting your Washington adjuster license is relatively straightforward, despite how overwhelming it may initially seem.

Once you satisfy the prerequisites for the state exam, all that’s left to do is obtain a passing grade and submit this information along with a background check to the Washington Department of Insurance.

In this article, we offer everything you need to know in order to get started, helping you find the best way of getting your Washington insurance adjuster license.

Recommended: Interested in getting started? We recommend using AdjusterPro’s online study packages, which come with a 98% satisfaction rate.

4.8 out of 5 starsAdjusterPro ($179+)

How to Become an Insurance Adjuster in Washington

Getting your Washington adjuster license can be a simple and easy process, but this will ultimately depend on how you go about completing the required steps.

Step 1: Adjuster Pre-Exam Education

Before you can take the state exam, you must meet one of the following prerequisites:

  • Special Education
    • Associate in Claims (AIC)
    • American Education Institute (AEI) property program
    • Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU)
  • Adjuster Trainee Program
    • Work under a supervisor who is a resident licensed adjuster
    • Include all loss-adjustment activities and responsibilities
    • Six to nine (6-9) months in length, totaling at least 960 working hours

Before you can begin an adjuster-trainee program, your supervising adjuster (employer) must fax (360-586-2019) or email the Washington Office of the Insurance Commissioner that you are beginning a training program with them, detailing your exact dates of employment.

You must be a salaried employee during this training period.

Your employer (supervising adjuster) must clearly document the details of your training, including:

  • The months your training was provided
  • The topics covered
  • The number of hours of training you received per topic

Note: If you have worked twelve consecutive months as a full-time, salaried insurance company or managing general agent (MGA) adjuster, you are exempt from taking the state exam.

For more information about the prerequisites and this exemption, refer to the Washington Insurance Adjuster License page.

Recommended Course

Over 80% of our readers use AdjusterPro’s online courses — which come with a 98% satisfaction rate — when preparing for their insurance adjuster exam(s). For comprehensive study packages, StateRequirement recommends:

4.8 out of 5 starsAdjusterPro ($179+)

Step 2. Washington Insurance Adjuster License Exam

Once you have completed all of your coursework, you will be able to take (and hopefully pass) the Washington insurance adjuster license exam.

This is a proctored test, which means that you will be in a controlled environment with a person watching over you. It is, therefore, a good idea to work on both your timing and nerves prior to sitting for your exam.

Washington offers two primary lines for their adjuster license exam:

  • The Independent Adjuster license exam — This consists of 100 questions, and you have two hours and fifteen minutes (2:15:00) to complete it
  • The Crop Adjuster license exam — This consists of 50 questions, and you have one hour (1:00:00) to complete it

Each attempt of the exam costs $53 and will be paid when you make your reservation.

A total score of 70% or more is required to pass this test. For more information on the scoring of the exam, we will quote the PSI Washington State Office of the Insurance Commissioner Candidate Information Bulletin:

You must get 70% correct to pass the examination. Your score will be given to you immediately following the completion of the examination. The following summary describes the score reporting process:

– If you pass, you will receive a successful score report.

– If you do not pass, you will receive a diagnostic report indicating your strengths and weaknesses by examination type on the score report.

StateRequirement recommends that you study for one exam at a time, then after passing, start on your next line. The exams are difficult enough on their own without confusing information from one line to another.

You can register to take your exams — as well as find out more information — on the PSI Washington Insurance or by calling PSI at (800) 733-9267.

Step 3. Fingerprinting and Background Check

The State of Washington requires that all insurance license applications provide fingerprints prior to licensing. Giving your fingerprints will initiate a background check.

If you have any prior misdemeanors or felonies, this may affect the outcome of your licensing efforts.

If you have specific questions regarding things that may come up on your background check, you may call the Washington State Office of the Insurance Commissioner at (360) 725-7144 or send them an email.

You will process your fingerprints through IdentoGO. Appointments can be made on their website or by phone at (888) 771-5097.

Note: The fee for fingerprinting services is $49.25.

Step 4. Washington Insurance Adjuster License Application

Once you have completed your exams and fingerprinting, you will be ready to apply for your independent adjuster license.

Note: The fee for an online application is $55.

Apply online with the Washington Insurance License Application.

Be sure to upload your exam score report together with the proof of pre-exam experience or pre-exam education requirement on your online application.

Step 5. Application Review

Once you have submitted your application and have completed all the other requirements, your Washington license application will be reviewed by the state.

This process generally takes about 15 business days. Depending on the results of your background check, the Department of Insurance may request more information or documentation.

After the review is complete, you will receive an email from the state regarding the status of your license.


You’ve done the work, put in the time and effort, and now hold the key to your own success!  We’re proud of you. Take five (5) minutes and celebrate.

What Kind of Insurance Adjuster Will You Be?

There are four main types of insurance adjustersstaff adjusters, independent adjusters, catastrophe adjusters, and public adjusters.

Each of these positions accomplishes essentially the same task: assess the damage to property brought about by some event and make an evaluation of what monetary value the insurance claim should carry.

The big difference between these different types of insurance adjusters is who pays them and, in the case of the public adjuster, who they are advocating for. Staff, independent, and catastrophe adjusters all require the same type of license, while a public adjuster license is a little different in its specifications.

  • Staff Adjuster – Works directly for one insurance company in order to investigate, evaluate, and potentially settle claims
  • Independent Adjuster – Works for a third-party company, often called an Independent Adjusting Firm, which has been contracted by insurance carriers to help settle their claims
  • Catastrophe (CAT) Adjuster – Can be an independent or staff adjuster who travels to an area that has been largely affected by an event (usually severe weather) and performs adjustment services to insurance claims en masse
  • Inside Adjuster – Inside adjusters, sometimes referred to as “desk” or “remote” adjusters, handle claims from an office. They are the policyholder’s main contact and the person who applies the policy terms and standards to the claim
  • Public Adjuster – Independent insurance adjusters that customers choose to hire in order to settle insurance claims. Public adjusters are not hired by insurance companies

Note: To become a public adjuster, you must obtain a standard adjuster license, get an appointment from a public adjusting firm, gain work experience, and eventually pass an additional exam.

Washington Department of Insurance Contact Information

Mailing Address:

Washington Office of the Insurance Commissioner
P.O. Box 40257
Olympia, Washington 98504

Phone: (360) 725-7144

Fax: (360) 586-2019

Email: Contact Form

Website: https://www.insurance.wa.gov/

Washington Insurance Adjuster License FAQ

How do I get a Washington adjuster license?

The process to become licensed as an insurance adjuster in Washington is very simple: after completing the necessary pre-exam prerequisites, you must pass your examination and submit your application to the Department of Insurance along with a background check. However, you must also complete continuing education requirements every two years in order to maintain your adjuster license. See our Washington Insurance Continuing Education article for more info.

How much is a Washington adjuster license?

The cost of getting an insurance adjuster license in Washington is around $335, though this total can increase if you take the test more than once or choose a more expensive pre exam-course. To find out why we advocate using AdjusterPro for your pre-exam education, see our AdjusterPro Course Review.

Do you need an adjuster license in Washington?

In order to have a career as an insurance adjuster in Washington, you are required by law to be adequately licensed. Since Washington grants reciprocal licenses, getting a resident license means you are eligible for equivalent insurance licenses in many other states without additional certification. To see which states, be sure to refer to our article on Adjuster License Reciprocity.

How long is a Washington insurance license good for?

In Washington, the license expiration date is on the last day of the month you were born in every two years. Your birth year dictates whether these two-year cycles take place in even or odd-numbered years. For more information on this topic, be sure to refer to our article on the subject: How to Renew Your Washington Insurance Adjuster License.

How much does an insurance adjuster in Washington earn?

In Washington, insurance adjusters make around $83,130 a year. For adjusters, Washington is the third-highest paying state in the US, narrowly behind New Jersey and Connecticut. To find out more about the salary you could earn as an insurance adjuster, feel free to check out our How Much Does an Insurance Adjuster Make article.

Ready for more?

Start Studying

Learn More