How To Renew Your Insurance License In New Hampshire

Written by: Ethan Peyton

    New Hampshire Insurance License Renewal

    In New Hampshire, insurance licenses expire every two years. The expiration will be on the last day of your birth month, biennially, based on the anniversary of your original license year. This means that if you were issued a license in an even-numbered year, your license will expire on the last day of your birth month in even-numbered years.

    There is no requirement to take another exam from the state, though depending on the format of your continuing education, it is possible that you may take a short knowledge test at the end of the course to be sure that you understand important insurance concepts, laws, and regulations.

    If this is the state you reside in, then renewing your license will also keep any non-resident license you have in good standing. You will still need to pay the license renewal fee for non-resident licenses held in other states.



    Step 1. New Hampshire Insurance Continuing Education Requirements

    The State of New Hampshire requires that resident individual licensees complete twenty-four (24) credit hours of continuing education every two-year licensing period. At least three (3) but no more than ten (10) of those hours must be in the subject of ethics. Credits cannot include the same course taken repeatedly in one reporting period.

    You must complete your continuing education requirements by the start of your license renewal period. This means that all courses must be completed before 60 days prior to your license’s expiration date.

    Recommended Course

    For continuing education courses and credits, StateRequirement recommends: Kaplan Education Company


    It is recommended to complete all continuing education credits thirty (30) days prior to the expiration date of the license. This will give the CE provider time to report the successful completion to the department of insurance. Your CE courses can be taken at any time within your license term.

    If you have a producer license in more than one line of authority (ex. Property & Casualty and Life & Health), you do not need to complete double the hours.

    You may take your continuing education courses either in person in a classroom setting or online as a self-paced course. The online courses usually require a reading of the subject at hand, then a test at the end.

    Upon completion of these courses, the company who you took the course should send the certificate of completion directly to the state. You should, however, print a copy of this certificate to keep in your records just in case there is a dispute later.



    Step 2. Renew Your Insurance License In New Hampshire

    After you have completed your continuing education and you are within 90 days of your license expiration, you may renew your New Hampshire insurance license online using the National Insurance Producer Registry.

    There is a fee of $150 to renew your license.

    Once this process is complete, your license will be renewed and your new expiration date will be two years from your previous expiration date.

    New Hampshire Insurance License Lookup

    You can view your current accrued CE credits using the State Based Systems Education Transcript Search Tool.

    If you don’t know your insurance license number, you can inquire online through the State Based Systems License Look-up tool.

    Is Your Agency Hiring?

    We've built an insurance-focused job board to agencies and insurance companies find great employees.

    New Hampshire Department of Insurance Contact Information

    Mailing Address:

    New Hampshire Insurance Department
    21 South Fruit Street, Suite 14
    Concord, New Hampshire 03301

    Phone: (603) 271-0203



    Ready for more?

    Start Studying

    Learn More

    Information on this page has been gathered by a multitude of sources and was most recently updated in January 2021.

    Any Information on this site is not guaranteed or warranted to be correct, accurate, or up to date. StateRequirement and its members and affiliates are not responsible for any losses, monetary or otherwise. StateRequirement is not affiliated with any state, government, or licensing body. For more information, please contact your state's authority on insurance.

    When readers purchase services discussed on our site, we often earn affiliate commissions that support our work. Learn More