How to Renew Your Insurance License in Alaska


Individual producer licenses in Alaska are renewed ever two (2) years. Your license will expire at the end of your birth month biennially based on your birth year. This is a new change as of August 2016. Licenses used to expire biennially on the birth date of the producer. All new licenses will expire at the end of the birth month. Any licensees who were licensed before August of 2016 will change into the new system after their next renewal.

Example: If you were first licensed in June of 2013, and your birthday is in January of 1988, then your license will expire on January 31st 2018.

As this system works, your first license renewal period may be shorter than two (2) full years. If this is the case, no continuing education (CE) credits are required for your first renewal. You must still apply for renewal and pay the accompanying fee.

To renew your license, you must complete all continuing education (CE) requirements listed below prior to starting the renewal process.

The fee for license renewal is $75.

After completing all of CE, you may renew your license at the NIPR website.

Alaska Continuing Education Requirements

The state of Alaska requires that resident individual licensees complete twenty-four (24) credit hours of continuing education every two year renewal period. Of those hours, three (3) of those hours must be in the subject of ethics.  No more than eight (8) hours can be in management, marketing, sales, or training.

If you have a producer license in more than one line of authority (ex. Property & Casualty and Life & Health), you do not need to complete double the hours.

You may take your continuing education courses either in person in a classroom setting or online as a self-paced course. The online courses usually require reading of the subject at hand, then a test at the end.

Upon completion of these courses, the company who you took the course should send the certificate of completion directly to the state. You should, however, print a copy of this certificate to keep in your records just in case there is a dispute later.

StateRequirement recommends Kaplan Education Company for all insurance CE courses.

You may look up your education transcript with the Education Transcript Search on State Based Systems.

For more on Alaska continuing education, visit the state's page on CE.

For a list of approved Alaska CE course providers, visit this page on Alaska's website.

Alaska Department Of Insurance Contact Information

Mailing Address:
Alaska Division of Insurance
333 Willoughby Avenue, 9th Floor
Juneau, Alaska 99801-3597
P.O. Box 110805
Juneau, Alaska 99801
Phone: 907-465-2515
Fax: 907-465-3422

Robert B. Atwood Building
550 W. 7th Avenue, Suite 1560
Anchorage, Alaska 99501-3597
Phone: 907-269-7900
Fax: 907-465-3422
Email: [email protected]

Information on this page has been gathered by a multitude of sources, and was most recently updated in August 2017.

Any Information on this site is not guaranteed or warranted to be correct, accurate, or up to date. Huge Hammer LLC and its members and affiliates are not responsible for any losses, monetary or otherwise. For more information, please contact your state's authority on insurance.

Disclosure: StateRequirement has an affiliation with Kaplan Education company, and may receive compensation based on user activity on this site. We truly believe that Kaplan offers excellent products and services, and compliments the mission of StateRequirement.