When exploring LSAT prep options, Kaplan is a name you’re likely to come across. But, how effective is Kaplan’s LSAT prep course and what does it include?
In our Kaplan LSAT Review guide, we’ve broken down Kaplan’s LSAT prep packages, highlighting their pros and cons, pricing, and key features. We’ve also compared them to other prep courses, giving you the information you need to decide what best suits your LSAT preparation needs.
Recommended: Interested in getting started? We recommend Kaplan’s LSAT preparation courses, which come with more than 200 quizzes and practice tests, one-on-one tutoring, and interactive online lessons.
Is Kaplan LSAT Prep Right for You?
As a leading provider of test prep services for more than 50 years, Kaplan’s LSAT prep courses serve a wide range of student needs. Offered in various formats (e.g., on-demand, live online classes, in-person, etc.), its courses ensure there’s something for every learning style.
The Kaplan LSAT prep review found below explores the main pros and cons of these courses in order to help you decide if this option suits your LSAT preparation needs.
- Extensive Resource Library: Kaplan’s nearly 10,000 official LSAT questions and more than 70 full-length practice tests make it one of the most well-equipped prep courses available
- Highly Qualified Instructors: Instructors for Kaplan’s live online course scored in the 99th percentile on the LSAT, meaning you’ll learn from individuals who excelled at the test themselves
- Personalized Study Plans: Kaplan employs advanced analytics to identify areas in need of improvement for each student, crafting targeted and personalized study plans that enhance the efficiency of your preparation
- Exclusive LSAT Channel: Kaplan’s LSAT channel offers more than 150 hours of extra lessons, including both live and on-demand classes. With a feature that allows filtering by subject, difficulty, and instructor, it’s particularly useful for personalized, in-depth study in areas where you might need more help
- Effective and Flexible Video Lessons: Kaplan’s LSAT prep courses feature well-crafted video lessons divided into manageable segments, allowing students to control the pace of their learning. You can speed up, slow down, or skip to different parts of the lesson, making it easy to focus on specific areas or review material at your own pace
- Money-Back Guarantee: Qualifying candidates who complete the course and don’t see an improvement in their official test score can either request a free reactivation of their online resources for an additional 12 weeks or opt for a refund
- Regular Discounts: Kaplan frequently offers promotions and substantial discounts, sometimes up to 20%, making its courses more accessible and financially appealing to a broader range of students
Interested in getting started? We recommend Kaplan’s LSAT preparation courses, which come with over 200 quizzes and practice tests, one-on-one tutoring, and interactive online lessons.
- Potentially Overwhelming Material: The sheer volume of Kaplan’s comprehensive materials can seem overwhelming for some students. This feeling can intensify as Kaplan’s analytics-driven recommendations tend to suggest longer study hours
- No Mobile App: Kaplan’s lack of a dedicated mobile app could be a drawback for students who prefer mobile-based learning or have long commutes and therefore want access to their study materials on the go
Kaplan LSAT Prep Pricing and Features
Kaplan offers four distinct packages — each tailored to different learning objectives and preferences.
Package 1: On-Demand LSAT Course ($799)
Kaplan’s On-Demand LSAT Course includes the following key features:
- A self-paced, flexible learning format
- Anytime access to the course
- Comprehensive recorded classes, lasting 24 to 32 hours
- Nearly 10,000 LSAT questions
- More than 70 full-length practice tests
- More than 200 quizzes
- A personalized study plan
- Access to The LSAT Channel (150+ hours of additional lessons)
- Duration options of four, six, or 12 months
Right For: Students who need the flexibility to study at their own pace and on their own schedule.
Package 2: Live Online LSAT Course ($1,199)
This package includes all the features of Kaplan’s On-Demand LSAT Course plus:
- Interactive, live-streamed lessons
- Live instruction (24 to 32 hours) from tutors who scored in the 99th percentile on the LSAT
- Flexible scheduling options
- Financing options (e.g., $84 per month and a 0% APR with Affirm)
Right For: Students who prefer a blend of structured, live instruction and the convenience of online learning.
Package 3: In-Person LSAT Course ($1,299)
This package includes all the features of the Kaplan LSAT Live Online Course plus:
- A traditional classroom setting
- Direct interaction with instructors and peers
- Financing options, starting at $109 per month and a 0% APR with Affirm
Right For: Students who thrive in a conventional classroom environment and value face-to-face interactions with instructors and fellow students.
Package 4: Private & Premium LSAT Tutoring Packages ($1,999 to $3,999)
This package includes everything in the Live Online LSAT Course plus:
- Options for 10, 20, 30, or 40 hours of private, one-on-one LSAT tutoring
- A personalized study plan from an LSAT expert
- Financing options, starting at $167 per month and a 0% APR with Affirm
Right For: Students seeking a highly personalized and intensive study experience with dedicated attention from an LSAT expert.
Kaplan LSAT Prep Reviews
Kaplan’s LSAT prep courses earn strong reviews on Trustpilot, where the company holds a score of 4.7 out of 5 from more than 5,400 reviews.
These reviews frequently commend the depth of the practice materials and the quality of Kaplan’s instruction. On Reddit, users often discuss Kaplan’s LSAT prep courses in a positive manner, citing their comprehensive content and flexibility.
“All of the instructors are knowledgeable and engaging, and the content review and Q banks were very helpful.”
Overall, Kaplan’s LSAT test prep courses have a reputation for delivering consistent and predictable results. Students generally find the courses lead to significant improvement in their LSAT scores, typically meeting expectations without unnecessary surprises.
Moreover, students generally regard Kaplan’s pricing as on par with the value and quality of the courses it provides.
Kaplan LSAT Prep Alternatives
Now that you know more about Kaplan’s LSAT prep courses, here’s an overview of the main competitors to give you a comprehensive view of your options.
Alternative 1: Magoosh LSAT Prep Review
Known for its adaptable and contemporary approach to LSAT prep, Magoosh offers affordable plans that start at around $300. It’s generally regarded as a great option for those seeking an informal, yet effective learning experience.
- Customizable Learning Path: Magoosh allows students to choose their lesson path, offering a more personalized study experience
- Affordable Access to Quality Content: It provides an extensive library of official LSAT questions at a budget-friendly price
- Interactive Digital Features: The platform includes advanced features like note-taking and video transcripts, enhancing engagement and retention
- Limited Structured Guidance: The freedom to choose your study path means less structured learning, which might not suit everyone — particularly those who prefer a more guided approach
- Simpler Format: The lessons use a straightforward digital whiteboard style, which lack the interactivity of more sophisticated courses
- Minimal Instructor Support: The self-paced nature of Magoosh’s prep courses means less direct interaction with tutors, which could be a drawback for those seeking regular guidance
Alternative 2: Blueprint LSAT Prep Review
Blueprint’s LSAT prep courses target those who enjoy interactive and visually stimulating study methods. Its prices range from about $330 per month to more than $4,500 for its more premium packages.
- Engaging Content Delivery: This provider uses visually appealing and interactive videos, making study sessions more enjoyable and less monotonous
- Adaptive Homework Feature: Blueprint personalizes your study plan by adjusting the difficulty of homework based on your performance, ensuring a tailored learning experience
- Enhanced Score Analysis: Blueprint also provides detailed score reports after each LSAT exam you take, analyzing your strengths and suggesting areas for improvement
- High Cost of Tutoring: Personalized tutoring services can significantly increase the overall cost. For example, Blueprint’s live course with personal tutoring can reach up to $5,000 — a significant consideration if you require one-on-one help
- Engagement-Intensive Approach: Blueprint’s interactive and visually stimulating study methods might lead to cognitive fatigue for some students — particularly those who prefer a more relaxed or traditional study pace
- Flashcard-Based Mobile App: While useful for quick reviews, the app primarily offers flashcards and may not provide a full learning experience
Alternative 3: The Princeton Review LSAT Prep Review
The Princeton Review offers a comprehensive and traditional approach to LSAT prep with course fees ranging from $799 to $3,999. It’s ideal for students who prefer a thorough and structured study regimen.
- Extensive Video Lesson Library: With more than 150 hours of video content, it provides in-depth coverage of a wide range of LSAT topics
- In-Depth Written Materials: Its more than 1,800 pages of material offer detailed explanations and study strategies
- Course Variety: It includes both self-paced and instructor-led options, catering to different learning styles and needs
- Exceptionally Detailed Course Material: The Princeton Review’s LSAT prep stands out for its meticulous attention to detail. It covers every conceivable aspect and nuance of the exam’s content, ensuring even the most minute topics get thoroughly addressed and understood
- Expensive: The higher-end courses can be quite expensive when compared to other options
- Basic User Interface: The digital platform, while functional, may lack the advanced features of newer online courses
- Lack of On-Camera Instruction: The course predominantly uses digital whiteboards with voice-overs for lessons, which lacks the personal touch of seeing an instructor on camera
For more information on other alternatives, check out our Best LSAT Prep Courses guide.
Kaplan’s most significant strength lies in its vast repository of practice materials. With nearly 10,000 LSAT questions and more than 70 full-length practice tests, Kaplan stands out as a powerhouse for those who believe practice makes perfect. This sheer volume of practice content is arguably unrivaled and can be a decisive factor for students who want to leave no stone unturned in their LSAT preparation.
However, Kaplan’s approach is notably traditional and structured; it doesn’t boast some of the more advanced technological features or mobile app functionalities newer competitors offer. This means Kaplan might not suit students seeking a tech-savvy study experience with innovative learning tools.
Yet, Kaplan is a strong option for those who value a comprehensive, well-established, and methodical approach to LSAT prep. Its structured format — coupled with the depth and breadth of its materials — makes Kaplan an excellent fit for students who thrive under guided study regimes and wish to tackle a vast array of practice questions.
Kaplan LSAT Review FAQ
Is Kaplan LSAT prep worth it?
Yes, the Kaplan LSAT prep course is worth considering — especially for students who prioritize a structured approach with a wealth of practice materials. The Kaplan LSAT prep course is ideal for thorough preparation thanks to its extensive library of nearly 10,000 official LSAT questions and more than 70 practice tests. This makes the Kaplan LSAT course highly effective for those focused on comprehensive practice.
Is Kaplan or The Princeton Review better for LSAT prep?
Deciding between Kaplan LSAT prep courses and The Princeton Review’s options will hinge on your study style. It’s important to note that both courses offer an extensive collection of practice questions and a structured educational pathway.
Which LSAT prep course is best?
The best LSAT prep course varies based on individual needs. Kaplan stands out for its extensive practice materials and structured teaching, making it ideal for thorough learners. Alternatives like Magoosh offer more flexibility and affordability while Blueprint focuses on engaging students with interactive content. For more information, check out our review of the Best LSAT Prep Courses.
How much does a Kaplan prep course increase your LSAT score?
The Kaplan LSAT prep course focuses on boosting your LSAT score through detailed practice and extensive coverage of the exam’s topics. Each student’s progress may differ, but the structured curriculum and abundance of LSAT practice tests in Kaplan’s course help students deepen their understanding and enhance their test-taking abilities to drive significant score improvements.