South Dakota Insurance Continuing Education
Continuing education for insurance agents and insurance producers doesn’t have to be a hassle. While it does require you to take time out of your busy schedule, it also allows you to gain a better insight toward the insurance industry as a whole. Whether learning about new types of products, finding different features and benefits of current policies, or gaining a better understanding of how the consumer interacts with the market, insurance CE can be an effective practice for you to master your craft.
This article will provide you all the tools you need to find which courses you need and ensure you fill your state requirements on time.
- Insurance Continuing Education Courses
- South Dakota Insurance Continuing Education Requirements
- Life Insurance Continuing Education
- Health Insurance Continuing Education
- Property and Casualty Insurance Continuing Education
- Helpful Resources
- South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation Contact Information
Insurance Continuing Education Courses
Insurance CE comes in many forms. Most folks nowadays choose to take a self-paced course online, but you can also complete your credit hours by attending an in-person class or even a scheduled online webinar.
- Self-paced Course – The most common method of continuing education today. These CE courses allow you to log in to an online platform any time of day to complete your credit hours. Most of these courses are a mixture of video and text combined with a short knowledge exam at the end. Some platforms even allow you to take the course from your phone, which could save you time.
- In-person Class – This is how continuing education courses all began. Join your fellow insurance license holders for a live class taught by an industry professional. You may be able to find a “school” that provides all of your state’s required credits in a few full-day classes, or you might also take some shorter sessions to fill part of your requirements.
- Scheduled Online Webinar – This is essentially the same as an in-person class, except you don’t have to travel away from your home or office. You will be taught by an instructor who will deliver the lesson at a specified time. Many webinars even allow you to interact with the instructor if you have specific questions.
Note: Most courses certify completion by taking either a knowledge exam at the end or by counting attendance to all of the scheduled classes. If you want to save time, it’s best to go with a self-paced course. If you want no exam, try an in-person class or an online webinar.
Not all continuing education courses are created equal. Be sure to choose the option that best suits your needs.
South Dakota Insurance Continuing Education Requirements
The State of South Dakota requires that all insurance producers and agents complete:
- Ten (10) hours (per license) while twenty (20) hours (both license qualification) of insurance continuing education every renewal period, which is two (2) years
Some important things to note:
- If you hold more than one line of insurance (ex. Life & Health insurance and Property & Casualty insurance lines) you need to take double hours. Your total amount of CE credit hours due is twenty (20).
- You should aim to complete all of your CE thirty (30) days prior to your expiration date.
- You can’t take the same course twice during one renewal period.
- If your continuing education course requires you to take an exam, this is not like the initial license test that you took. This exam will be in your home, so you don’t need to schedule any appointments or pay any exam fees.
- All insurance continuing education must be provided by a state-approved education company.
Life Insurance Continuing Education
If you have a South Dakota Life Insurance License, you will need to take 24 hours of insurance CE. Most education companies offer a package of courses directed specifically to life insurance, but if you have to select courses, these subjects will satisfy the credit requirements:
- Traditional life insurance policies
- Group life insurance policies
- Family Insurance Needs
- Insurance ethics
- Other life insurance or insurance law-related courses
Health Insurance Continuing Education
If you have a South Dakota Health Insurance License, you will need to take 24 hours of insurance CE. Most education companies offer a package of courses directed specifically to health insurance, but if you have to select courses, these subjects will satisfy the credit requirements:
- Health insurance policies
- Long-term care
- Social Security
- Insurance ethics
- Other health insurance or insurance law-related courses
Property and Casualty Insurance Continuing Education
If you have a South Dakota Property and Casualty Insurance License, you will need to take 24 hours of insurance CE. Most education companies offer a package of courses directed specifically to property and casualty insurance, but if you have to select courses, these subjects will satisfy the credit requirements:
- Homeowner’s insurance policies
- Business insurance
- Car insurance
- Insurance ethics
- Other property and casualty insurance or insurance law-related courses
View your accrued insurance continuing education credits – State Based Systems
Find step-by-step instructions on how to renew your South Dakota Insurance License – South Dakota Insurance Renewal
South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation Contact Information
South Dakota Division of Insurance
124 South Euclid Avenue, 2nd Floor
Pierre, South Dakota 57501
Phone: (605) 773-3563
Email: [email protected]
Information on this page has been gathered by a multitude of sources and was most recently updated on August 2019. Any Information on this site is not guaranteed or warranted to be correct, accurate, or up to date. StateRequirement and its members and affiliates are not responsible for any losses, monetary or otherwise. For more information, please contact your state's authority on insurance. Disclosure: StateRequirement has an affiliation with Kaplan Education company, and may receive compensation based on user activity on this site. We truly believe that Kaplan offers excellent products and services, and compliments the mission of StateRequirement.