One of the first and most important steps of any new business is finding the perfect name for your Mississippi LLC.
Checking the LLC name availability in Mississippi is an important step in the business formation process. It ensures your business name is distinguishable from the names of other Mississippi businesses so that you do not violate anyone’s intellectual property rights.
Our Mississippi LLC Name Search guide will show you how you can find available business names in Mississippi, and how to reserve and register your business name.
How to Search for a Mississippi LLC Name
Below are the four steps that you need to follow in order to conduct an LLC name search in Mississippi.
Step 1: Follow the Mississippi LLC Naming Guidelines
Check that your selected name conforms with the Mississippi LLC naming criteria:
- Your name must include the term “limited liability company” or one of the abbreviations “LLC” or “L.L.C.”
- Your name cannot include words falsely implying you have a business relationship with a government entity (FBI, Treasury, Real Estate Commission, etc.).
- Your company’s name cannot contain words that suggest it is a financial institution, corporation, or other types of activity under deception.
- You are not authorized to use phrases that indicate your organization is formed for any cause other than those authorized. Therefore, if you use terms like “clinical” or “legal,” you may need to file supplemental documentation to verify that your LLC includes a relevant licensed professional.
- Your LLC name cannot include terms like “Region,” “Municipality,” or “Provincial,” which suggest that your firm is a governmental institution.
- You shall not use terms such as “treasury,” “trust,” and “stakeholder” unless you receive approval from the Financial Commission or Commissioner.
- Specific laws vary by state, but organization types other than LLC, such as “Corporation,” “Incorporated,” and “Limited Partnership,” are often banned.
- Your LLC must be unique and easily distinguishable from another business entity registered in your state.
Selecting a name is just one of the several requirements when forming an LLC. To avoid improper or incomplete LLC formation documents, we recommend using the assistance of an LLC formation service.
Have a Professional Handle your Filing
More than 72% our readers form their LLC using a professional filing service. Our recommended service provider is:
Step 2: Look Up Mississippi LLC Name Search Availability
The next step is to conduct a Mississippi LLC name search. Below are a few ways to do a business name search in Mississippi.
- LLC Name Search: Search the Mississippi Taxable Entity Search or use the Registered Filer login to check if your chosen business name is available. You aren’t required to pay a fee when using the name search. You may also try typing your business or trademark on any search engine to check businesses with similar names. This will also ensure your trademark is unique, meets the state’s requirements, and frees you from any legal hassles in the future.
- Domain Name Search: If your business name is still available, you must register for a domain name. Having a URL that matches your business name is important since this is how your potential and existing clients can find your business.
To determine the availability of your chosen URL, use a domain registrar, such as GoDaddy.
Find a Domain Now
Powered by GoDaddy
Note: While you can use social media to search for business names to determine your desired name, the search results might not give you useful insight if your desired business name is available and exclusive for use.
Step 3: Reserve Your Mississippi LLC Name
You are required to file for a Name Reservation Certificate in addition to your LLC Certificate of Formation. The name reservation filing fee is $25.
You can reserve a business name for 180 days with the Mississippi Name Reservation tool online.
Name reservation renewals must be completed 30 days before expiration if you do not establish your LLC within a specific period or according to Mississippi’s guidelines. Reservations last six months and are eligible for renewal.
Using a Mississippi DBA for Your LLC
A DBA (“doing business as”) name is referenced as a fictitious business name in Mississippi. With a DBA, you can conduct business under a different name than your company’s official name.
You can also use a DBA and legally operate under a new name if you want to preserve your LLC but engage in another commercial activity. The fee to obtain a Mississippi Fictitious Name Certificate is $25.
LLC owners sometimes choose to brand their businesses with a DBA. Most sole proprietors and general partnerships use a DBA to create a brand other than their surnames.
Step 4: Register a Mississippi LLC Trade or Service Mark
You can search a mark on the federal trademark database to determine if someone has registered your business name.
You can file a request for a trade or service mark after you confirm the availability and reservation of your LLC name.
By notifying everyone in the state that they cannot use your mark for any purpose, you can distinguish the products or services your firm offers by registering your LLC’s business “mark” (which relates to trade and service marks) with the Mississippi Secretary of State (such as brand name, slogans, and logos).
These factors are crucial for an LLC owner to file a mark registration with the Mississippi Secretary of State. The filing fee for a Mississippi Trade or Service Mark Application is $50 (or $60 for non-residents) per class (“class” means goods and services).
Registering a trade or service mark is not the same as filing a formation document. If you’re registering a business in Mississippi, check out the steps on how to form a Mississippi LLC.
Mississippi Secretary of State Contact Information
Business Services & Regulation
Mississippi Secretary of State
125 S. Congress St.
Jackson, MS 39201
Michael Watson — Mississippi Secretary of State
401 Mississippi St.
Jackson, MS 39201
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Phone: (601) 359-1633
Mississippi LLC Name Search FAQ
Why do I need to do a Mississippi LLC name search?
When forming a Mississippi LLC, you will be required to choose a name. This name must be unique and available for use, and should not already be registered with the Mississippi Secretary of State. To search for available LLC names, you can use the Mississippi Taxable Entity Search tool on the Secretary of State website. You aren’t required to pay a fee when using the search.
How do I check if an LLC name is taken in Mississippi?
You can use the Mississippi Taxable Entity Search tool to check if your business name is available. You may also contact the Mississippi Secretary of State via phone at (601) 359-1633 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance conducting a Mississippi LLC name search.
Can I renew a Mississippi LLC name reservation?
Yes. You can renew a name reservation by filing a new application during the 30-day period before it expires. Complete the Application for Name Reservations Filing using the responsive online form.
Is the Mississippi Secretary of State LLC name search tool free to use?
Yes. You can use the Mississippi Name Search tool to find a name for your LLC. Enter the desired name for your LLC to determine its availability.