One of the first and most important steps of any new business is finding the perfect name for your Indiana LLC.
Checking the LLC name availability in Indiana is an important step in the business formation process. It ensures your business name is distinguishable from the names of other Indiana businesses so that you do not violate anyone’s intellectual property rights.
Our Indiana LLC Name Search guide will show you how you can find available business names in Indiana, and how to reserve and register your business name.
Interested in forming an LLC? We recommend using an LLC formation service in order to ensure that you do not accidentally file your business name incorrectly and have your application denied.
How to Search for an Indiana LLC Name
Below are the four steps that you need to follow in order to conduct an LLC name search in Indiana.
Step 1: Follow the Indiana LLC Naming Guidelines
The first step is to ensure that your chosen name complies with the requirements of Indiana’s LLC naming guidelines as listed below:
- Include the words “corporation,” “incorporated,” “company,” or “limited,” or the abbreviation “Corp.,” “Inc.,” “Co.,” or “Ltd.,” or words or abbreviations in another language. The name of a business corporation that is a professional corporation must contain the words “Professional Service Corporation,” “Professional Corporation,” or abbreviations of these words.
- Only a professional corporation in which all shareholders are physicians licensed may use the term “medical” in its corporate name.
- If your business name uses the word “bank,” or any derivative of “bank,” in the filing entity’s name, the filing must be forwarded to the department of financial institutions for review.
Selecting a name is just one of the several requirements when forming an LLC. To avoid improper or incomplete LLC formation documents, we recommend using the assistance of an LLC formation service.
Have a Professional Handle your Filing
More than 72% our readers form their LLC using a professional filing service. Our recommended service provider is:
Step 2: Look Up Indiana LLC Name Search Availability
The next step is to conduct an Indiana LLC name search. Below are a few ways to do a business name search in Indiana.
- LLC Name Search: Search the Indiana INBiz Name Search to check if your chosen business name is available. There is no search fee when using the INBiz Name Search. You may also try typing your business or trademark on any search engine to check businesses with similar names. This will also ensure your trademark is unique, meets the state’s requirements, and frees you from any legal hassles in the future.
- Domain Name Search: If your business name is still available, you must register for a domain name. Having a URL that matches your business name is important since this is how your potential and existing clients can find your business.
To determine the availability of your chosen URL, use a domain registrar, such as GoDaddy.
Find a Domain Now
Powered by GoDaddy
Note: While you can use social media to search for business names to determine your desired name, the search results might not give you useful insight if your desired business name is available and exclusive for use.
Step 3: Reserve Your Indiana LLC Name
Along with your LLC Certificate of Formation, you need a Certification of Assumed Business Name in Indiana. The name reservation filing fee is $30.
You can reserve a business name for 120 days with the Indiana INBiz Name Search tool online.
Using an Indiana DBA for Your LLC
In Indiana, a DBA (“doing business as”) name is known as an assumed name. An Indiana assumed name allows you to use a name other than your business’s legal name when operating.
If you want to keep your legal business name but conduct another business activity under a different name, you can usually create a DBA name and legally operate under a new name. The fee for getting an Indiana Certification of Assumed Business Name is $30.
LLC owners sometimes choose to brand their businesses with a DBA. Most sole proprietors and general partnerships use a DBA to create a brand other than their surnames.
Step 4: Register an Indiana LLC Trade or Service Mark
Doing a name search on the federal trademark database will tell you whether another business or person has already “marked” your name.
Once you verify the availability of your LLC name and secure it, you can choose to apply for a trade or service mark for your business.
Registering your LLC business “mark” (refers to trade and service marks) with the Indiana Secretary of State not only distinguishes the goods or services your business provides, but also creates a statewide notice that any entity or person cannot use any of your marks (such as brand name, slogans, and logos).
For these reasons, it is important for an LLC owner to register a mark with the Indiana Secretary of State. The filing fee for an Indiana Trade or Service Mark Application is $10 per class (“class” means goods and services).
Registering a trade or service mark is not the same as filing a formation document. If you’re registering a business in Indiana, check out the steps on how to form an Indiana LLC.
Indiana Secretary of State Contact Information
Business Services Division
302 W. Washington St.
Indianapolis, IN 46204
200 W. Washington St., Room 201
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Phone: (317) 234-9768
You must make an appointment before visiting the office
Indiana LLC Name Search FAQ
Why do I need to do an Indiana LLC name search?
When forming an Indiana LLC, you will be required to choose a name.. This name must be unique and available for use, and should not already be registered with the Indiana Secretary of State. To search for available LLC names, you can use the tool on the Secretary of State website. There is no fee for using the INBiz Name Search tool.
How do I check if an LLC name is taken in Indiana?
Can I renew an Indiana LLC name reservation?
Yes. You can renew a name reservation by filing a new application during the 30-day period before the expiration of your last name reservation. Use the INBiz Renewal of Business Name Reservation.
Is the Indiana Secretary of State LLC name search reservation tool free to use?
Yes. You can use the Indiana INBiz Name Search tool to find and reserve a name for your LLC. Simply enter the desired name for your LLC. If the name is available, you can reserve it for 120 days.