One of the first and most important steps of any new business is finding the perfect name for your Idaho LLC.
Checking the LLC name availability in Idaho is an important step in the business formation process. It ensures your business name is distinguishable from the names of other Idaho businesses so that you do not violate anyone’s intellectual property rights.
Our Idaho LLC Name Search guide will show you how you can find available business names in Idaho, and how to reserve and register your business name.
How to Search for an Idaho LLC Name
Below are the four steps that you need to follow in order to conduct an LLC name search in Idaho.
Step 1: Follow the Idaho LLC Naming Guidelines
The first step is to ensure that your chosen name complies with the requirements of Idaho’s LLC naming guidelines as listed below:
- Your name must contain the abbreviations “limited liability company,” “limited company,” “L.L.C.,” or “LLC,” “L.C.,” or “LC.” You can also abbreviate “Limited” as “Ltd.,” and abbreviate “company” as “Co.”
- If your LLC is considered a professional entity(such as a law firm), you may include the word “professional” in front of the word “limited” or the letter “P” at the beginning of any of the permitted abbreviations. For example, “Professional Limited Xxxx” or “PLLC Xxxxx.”
- Must not contain any words that imply your LLC is a government corporation.
- Not use the terms “bank” or “fiduciary” or “trust” unless you follow strict regulatory guidelines for these types of entities.
- Must be considered distinguishable from other names, for instance, not using the same numerals, changing capitalization, etc.
Selecting a name is just one of the several requirements when forming an LLC. To avoid improper or incomplete LLC formation documents, we recommend using the assistance of an LLC formation service.
Have a Professional Handle your Filing
More than 72% our readers form their LLC using a professional filing service. Our recommended service provider is:
Step 2: Look Up Idaho LLC Name Search Availability
The next step is to conduct an Idaho LLC name search. Below are a few ways to do a business name search in Idaho.
- LLC Name Search: Search the Idaho SOS business name feature to check if your chosen business name is available. There is no search fee when using the SOS business name lookup. You may also try typing your business or trademark on any search engine to check businesses with similar names. This will also ensure your trademark is unique, meets the state’s requirements, and frees you from any legal hassles in the future.
- Domain Name Search: If your business name is still available, you must register for a domain name. Having a URL that matches your business name is important since this is how your potential and existing clients can find your business.
To determine the availability of your chosen URL, use a domain registrar, such as GoDaddy.
Find a Domain Now
Powered by GoDaddy
Note: While you can use social media to search for business names to determine your desired name, the search results might not give you useful insight if your desired business name is available and exclusive for use.
Step 3: Reserve Your Idaho LLC Name
You can reserve a business name for a four month period with the state of Idaho by mail using the Application for Reservation of Legal Entity Name in Idaho. The name reservation filing fee is $20.00 + $20.00 for manual processing (form must be typed).
Using an Idaho DBA for Your LLC
In Idaho, a DBA (“doing business as”) name is known as an assumed name. An Idaho assumed name allows you to use a name other than your business’s legal name when operating.
If you want to keep your legal business name but conduct another business activity under a different name, you can usually create a DBA name and legally operate under a new name. The fee for getting an Idaho Assumed Business Name Certificate is $25 plus $20 to process it manually.
LLC owners sometimes choose to brand their businesses with a DBA. Most sole proprietors and general partnerships use a DBA to create a brand other than their surnames.
Step 4: Register an Idaho LLC Trade or Service Mark
Doing a name search on the federal trademark database will tell you whether another business or person has already “marked” your name.
Once you verify the availability of your LLC name and secure it, you can choose to apply for a trade or service mark for your business.
Registering your LLC business “mark” (refers to trade and service marks) with the Idaho Secretary of State not only distinguishes the goods or services your business provides, but also creates a statewide notice that any entity or person cannot use any of your marks (such as brand name, slogans, and logos).
For these reasons, it is important for an LLC owner to register a mark with the Idaho Secretary of State. The filing fee for an Idaho Trade or Service Mark Application is $30 per class and a $20 fee for manual processing (“class” means goods and services).
Registering a trade or service mark is not the same as filing a formation document. If you’re registering a business in Idaho, check out the steps on how to form an Idaho LLC.
Idaho Secretary of State Contact Information
Idaho Secretary of State
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0080
Idaho Secretary of State
450 N. 4th St.
Boise, ID 83720
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Phone: (208) 334-2301
Idaho LLC Name Search FAQ
Why do I need to do an Idaho LLC name search?
When forming an Idaho LLC, you will be required to choose a name.. This name must be unique and available for use, and should not already be registered with the Idaho Secretary of State. To search for available LLC names, you can use the Idaho SOS business name feature to check if your chosen business name is available. It’s free to use the search feature.
How do I check if an LLC name is taken in Idaho?
You can use the Idaho SOS business name feature to check if your chosen business name is available to check if your business name is available. You may also contact the Idaho Secretary of State via phone at (208) 334-2301 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance on how to perform an Idaho LLC name search.
Can I renew an Idaho LLC name reservation?
No. Your reservation is non-renewable. Once it expires, you may lose your name to someone else. If you want to reserve a name again, you will have to apply using the Application for Reservation of Legal Entity Name in Idaho.
Is the Idaho Secretary of State LLC name search reservation tool free to use?
Yes. You can use the Idaho SOS business name feature tool to find and reserve a name for your LLC. Simply enter the desired name for your LLC.