One of the first and most important steps of any new business is finding the perfect name for your Arkansas LLC.
Checking the LLC name availability in Arkansas is an important step in the business formation process. It ensures your business name is distinguishable from the names of other Arkansas businesses so that you do not violate anyone’s intellectual property rights.
Our Arkansas LLC Name Search guide will show you how you can find available business names in Arkansas, and how to reserve and register your business name.
Interested in forming an LLC? We recommend using an LLC formation service in order to ensure that you do not accidentally file your business name incorrectly and have your application denied.
How to Search for an Arkansas LLC Name
Below are the four steps that you need to follow in order to conduct an LLC name search in Arkansas.
Step 1: Follow the Arkansas LLC Naming Guidelines
Before choosing your new LLC name for use in the state of Arkansas there are some key guidelines you should be aware of around naming an LLC in Arkansas:
- Your chosen LLC name must include either the phrase “limited liability company,” or “limited company.” Alternatively, you may also use the abbreviations “LLC,” “L.C.,” “L.L.C.,” or “LC” in upper or lowercase letters.
- The name you choose for your LLC must be distinguishable from any other existing business in Arkansas. This includes any names already reserved in the state.
- Be sure to be aware of restricted words when choosing your name. Restricted words, such as “Treasury” or “FBI” should not be used as your LLC runs the risk of sounding like an official institution.
- In addition, the state of Arkansas also has other restrictions on LLC names. Your LLC name cannot, in any way, imply that your business is organized to carry out an unlawful purpose or one that its purpose is different from what is stated in your Certificate of Organization. Your business name should also never contain the name of any person who is not a member.
- It is vital to ensure that your name is distinguishable from any other business names. In Arkansas, a name is only distinguishable if it is substantively different from any other reserved or existing business name in the state. Should you fail to use a distinguishable name, this could result in your formation filing being rejected.
Selecting a name is just one of the several requirements when forming an LLC. To avoid improper or incomplete LLC formation documents, we recommend using the assistance of an LLC formation service.
Have a Professional Handle your Filing
More than 72% our readers form their LLC using a professional filing service. Our recommended service provider is:
Step 2: Look Up Arkansas LLC Name Search Availability
The next step is to conduct an Arkansas LLC name search. Below are a few ways to do a business name search in Arkansas.
- LLC Name Search: Search the Arkansas Business Entity Search to check if your chosen business name is available. You may also try typing your business or trademark on any search engine to check businesses with similar names. This will also ensure your trademark is unique, meets the state’s requirements, and frees you from any legal hassles in the future.
- Domain Name Search: If your business name is still available, you must register for a domain name. Having a URL that matches your business name is important since this is how your potential and existing clients can find your business.
To determine the availability of your chosen URL, use a domain registrar, such as GoDaddy.
Find a Domain Now
Powered by GoDaddy
Note: While you can use social media to search for business names to determine your desired name, the search results might not give you useful insight if your desired business name is available and exclusive for use.
Step 3: Reserve Your Arkansas LLC Name
You have the option of reserving your LLC name in Arkansas for a period up to 120 days before you will need to officially register it. This will prevent other businesses from registering the same name you’ve chosen until you are ready to register it yourself.
Using an Arkansas DBA for Your LLC
An Arkansas DBA (doing business as) is also referred to as an assumed name. It’s important to keep in mind that getting an Arkansas DBA registration does not protect your personal assets.
LLC owners sometimes choose to brand their businesses with a DBA. Most sole proprietors and general partnerships use a DBA to create a brand other than their surnames.
Step 4: Register an Arkansas LLC Trade or Service Mark
In Arkansas, the Business and Commercial Services (BCS) records and approves any word, phrase, or symbol used by individuals or companies in the state of Arkansas to identify their services or goods and help to distinguish them from the services and goods of others. You can use the Arkansas Trademark Search tool on the Secretary of State site.
Registering a trade or service mark is not the same as filing a formation document. If you’re registering a business in Arkansas, check out the steps on how to form an Arkansas LLC.
Arkansas Secretary of State Contact Information
Arkansas Secretary of State
1401 W. Capitol Ave., Suite 250
Little Rock, AR 72201
1401 W. Capitol Ave., Suite 250
Little Rock, AR 72201
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Phone: (888) 233-0325
Arkansas LLC Name Search FAQ
Why do I need to do an Arkansas LLC name search?
When forming an Arkansas LLC, you will be required to choose a name.. This name must be unique and available for use, and should not already be registered with the Arkansas Secretary of State. To search for available LLC names, you can use the Arkansas Business Entity Search tool on the Secretary of State website.
How do I check if an LLC name is taken in Arkansas?
Can I renew an Arkansas LLC name reservation?
Yes. You can renew a name reservation by filing a new application during within a 120-day period. Simply download and fill out the Renewal of Reservation of an Entity Name form.
Is the Arkansas Secretary of State LLC name search reservation tool free to use?
Yes. You can use the Arkansas Name Reservation tool to find and reserve a name for your LLC. Simply enter the desired name for your LLC. If the name is available, you can reserve it for 120 days.