How To Renew Your Insurance License In Kansas

Written by: Ethan Peyton

    Kansas Insurance License Renewal

    In Kansas, insurance licenses expire every two years. The expiration will be on your date of birth, biennially, based on the year of your birth. This means that if you were born in an even-numbered year, your license will expire on your birthday each even-numbered year, whereas if you were born in an odd-numbered year, your license will expire every odd-numbered year on your birthday.

    There is no requirement to take another exam from the state, though depending on the format of your continuing education, it is possible that you may take a short knowledge test at the end of the course to be sure that you understand important insurance concepts, laws, and regulations.

    If this is the state you reside in, then renewing your license will also keep any non-resident license you have in good standing. You will still need to pay the license renewal fee for non-resident licenses held in other states.



    Step 1. Kansas Insurance Continuing Education Requirements

    The State of Kansas requires that resident individual licensees complete twelve (12) credit hours for the Life and/or Health line of authority and twelve (12) credit hours for the Property and/or Casualty line of authority every two-year renewal period.  For each line of authority, at least one (1) of those hours must be in the subject of ethics or consumer protection.

    Recommended Course

    For continuing education courses and credits, StateRequirement recommends: Kaplan Education Company


    It is recommended to complete all continuing education credits thirty (30) days prior to the expiration date of the license. This will give the CE provider time to report the successful completion to the department of insurance. Your CE courses can be taken at any time within your license term.

    If you have a producer license in more than one line of authority (ex. Property & Casualty and Life & Health), you do need to complete double the hours.

    You may take your continuing education courses either in person in a classroom setting or online as a self-paced course. The online courses usually require a reading of the subject at hand, then a test at the end.

    Upon completion of these courses, the company who you took the course should send the certificate of completion directly to the state. You should, however, print a copy of this certificate to keep in your records just in case there is a dispute later.


    Step 2. Renew Your Insurance License In Kansas


    After you have completed your continuing education and you are within 90 days of your license expiration, you may renew your Kansas insurance license online by using the Kansas Insurance Producer Desktop or the Kansas State Information Center Insurance Licensing Search and Renewal tool.

    There is a fee of $90 per application to renew your license.

    Once this process is complete, your license will be renewed and your new expiration date will be two years from your previous expiration date.

    Kansas Insurance License Lookup

    You can view your current accrued CE credits using the Kansas Insurance Producer Desktop .

    If you don’t know your insurance license number, you can inquire online through the Kansas Insurance Department Agency Search.

    Is Your Agency Hiring?

    We've built an insurance-focused job board to agencies and insurance companies find great employees.

    Kansas Department of Insurance Contact Information

    Mailing Address:

    Kansas Insurance Department
    1300 Southwest Arrowhead Road
    Topeka, Kansas 66604

    Phone: (785) 296-7862

    Email: [email protected]


    Ready for more?

    Start Studying

    Learn More

    Information on this page has been gathered by a multitude of sources and was most recently updated in January 2021.

    Any Information on this site is not guaranteed or warranted to be correct, accurate, or up to date. StateRequirement and its members and affiliates are not responsible for any losses, monetary or otherwise. StateRequirement is not affiliated with any state, government, or licensing body. For more information, please contact your state's authority on insurance.

    When readers purchase services discussed on our site, we often earn affiliate commissions that support our work. Learn More