Virginia Insurance Adjuster License

Written by: Kevelyn Rodriguez

Last updated:

Virginia Insurance Adjuster License

Virginia doesn’t have an adjuster licensing requirement and does not offer its own Virginia adjuster license. In most employment situations, however, it will still be highly beneficial to get licensed as an adjuster.

The solution to this is a DHS (designated home state) adjuster license, which — in essence — designates a separate state as your “home state.”

Even though several states offer DHS licenses, the most popular ones are Florida, Texas, and Indiana.

We recommend getting a DHS license from Florida. This is because a Florida DHS adjuster license has great reciprocity, the quickest application process, and a relatively short insurance adjuster exam.

How to Get Your Insurance Adjuster License in Virginia

Virginia does not offer a resident Virginia insurance adjuster license and does not require its residents to hold a license in order to operate as adjusters within the state.

Having said that, getting a license from a different state — known as a DHS license — is often recommended nonetheless.

This is because operating without a license can handicap you significantly in the long run and will undoubtedly limit your employment opportunities.

What is a Designated Home State Insurance Adjuster License?

There are several states that offer what is called a Designated Home State license. Having said that, it is important to note that Florida, Texas, and Indiana are the most popular.

Essentially, this is a type of license that allows people that live in a non-licensing state — such as Virginia or Ohio — the opportunity to “designate” a different state (e.g., Florida, etc.) as their “home state.”

This allows them to apply for and obtain a Florida insurance adjuster license as if they were an in-state resident of Florida.

This is beneficial for several reasons, including:

  • Employment – Many potential employers of claims adjusters will look specifically for applicants who are already licensed. Even if they aren’t specifically looking for licensed individuals, they are likely to prefer these over non-licensed applicants (due to the geographical flexibility advantage)
  • Catastrophe (CAT) or Traveling Adjusters – If a non-licensed adjuster wishes to work on CAT claims, there is a good chance that they will need to travel across state lines. To operate in a state other than your home state, you will need to have a reciprocal license in that state. Applying for a reciprocity license can only be done if you hold an equivalent license in your own state (such as a DHS license)

The bottom line is this: if you wish to work in insurance claims, you should have a license to do so, and in Virginia, the only way to do that is to get a designated home state license.

StateRequirement recommends getting a Florida DHS Adjuster License. This is because it has an exceptionally fast application process, short exam structure, and great reciprocity.


You’ve done the work, put in the time and effort, and now hold the key to your own success!  We’re proud of you. Take five (5) minutes and celebrate.

What Kind of Insurance Adjuster Will You Be?

There are four main types of insurance adjustersstaff adjusters, independent adjusters, catastrophe adjusters, and public adjusters.

Each of these positions accomplishes essentially the same task: assess the damage to property brought about by some event and make an evaluation of what monetary value the insurance claim should carry.

The big difference between these different types of insurance adjusters is who pays them, and in the case of the public adjuster, who they are advocating for. Staff, independent, and catastrophe adjusters do not require a license in Virginia, whereas public adjusters do.

  • Staff Adjuster – Works directly for one insurance company in order to investigate, evaluate, and potentially settle claims
  • Independent Adjuster – Works for a third-party company, often called an Independent Adjusting Firm, which has been contracted by insurance carriers to help settle their claims
  • Catastrophe (CAT) Adjuster – Can be an independent or staff adjuster who travels to an area that has been largely affected by an event (usually severe weather) and performs claims adjuster services en masse
  • Inside Adjuster – Inside adjusters, sometimes referred to as “desk” or “remote” adjusters, handle claims from an office. They are the policyholder’s main contact and the person who applies the policy terms and standards to the claim
  • Public Adjuster – Is an independent insurance adjuster that customers choose to hire in order to settle insurance claims. Public adjusters are not hired by insurance companies

Virginia Public Adjuster License

Public adjusters in Virginia are required to obtain a license in order to operate legitimately.

In order to do this, you will need to take (and pass) the Virginia Public Adjuster Exam.

The exam is administered by Prometric, contains 50 scored questions, and will need to be completed within one hour.

After you pass your exam, you will need to apply for your license online through Sircon or NIPR. A $15 application fee is required in order to do this.

Please allow up to 15 business days for your application to be processed.

Note: As part of your licensure, you will be required to certify that a $50,000 bond that has been obtained from an insurance company licensed within Virginia will remain in force as long as your license will remain in effect (Form PA-2).

Virginia Department of Insurance Contact Information

Mailing Address:

Bureau of Insurance – State Corporation Commission
P.O. Box 1157
Richmond, Virginia 23218

Phone: (804) 371-9631



Virginia Insurance Adjuster License FAQ

How do I become a licensed insurance adjuster in Virginia?

The Commonwealth of Virginia does not license insurance adjusters.
Even so, you should note that choosing to operate without a license can significantly handicap your earnings in the long term; this is because you will not be able operate outside of Virginia. As a result, we recommend getting a Florida DHS adjuster license instead.

How much does an independent insurance adjuster earn in Virginia?

As of April 2023, the average pay for an independent insurance adjuster in Virginia is $56,357 per annum. Having said that, annual salaries can range as high as $97,253 (90th percentile), or as low as $48,626 (25th percentile). See our How Much Does an Insurance Adjuster Make article for more information.

Does Virginia require an adjuster license?

No. If you are a resident of Virginia, you will not be required to apply for a license — or pass a state exam — in order to operate as a legitimate insurance adjuster. Having said that, most Virginia residents choose to opt for a DHS license of another state instead. See our Virginia Insurance Adjuster License article for more information. 

Is being an insurance adjuster difficult?

Being an insurance adjuster can be quite difficult; this is because it requires a plethora of different traits, including excellent communication skills. Having said that, it can also be extremely rewarding. For more information, we recommend having a look at our What Does an Insurance Adjuster Do review. 

Do I need an insurance adjuster course in Virginia?

No you do not. This is because Virginia does need to offer a resident license for adjusters, so you will not need to purchase an online course in order to prepare yourself for a state exam. Having said that, you will need an online course (i.e., AdjusterPro) if you plan to acquire a DHS license (e.g., Florida, Texas, etc.).

Ready for more?

Start Studying

Learn More