South Dakota Insurance Adjuster License

Written by: Kevelyn Rodriguez

Last updated:

South Dakota Insurance Adjuster License

Insurance adjusters in South Dakota are not required to get licensed in order to work legally. However, many choose to apply for a “designated home state” (DHS) license from another state instead.

This is a popular option because it allows adjusters to expand their potential work opportunities in multiple states and ensure compliance regulations from a number of different states.

We recommend getting a DHS license in Florida. This is because a Florida DHS adjuster license has great reciprocity, the quickest application process, and a relatively short insurance adjuster exam.

How to Get Your Insurance Adjuster License in South Dakota

South Dakota does not license insurance adjusters and does not require South Dakota residents to hold a license in order to operate legally within the state.

Having said that, getting a license from a different state — known as a DHS license — is often recommended nonetheless.

This is because operating without a license can handicap you significantly in the long run and will undoubtedly limit your employment opportunities.

Designated Home State Insurance Adjuster License

There are several states that offer what is called a Designated Home State license. Having said that, it is important to note that Florida, Texas, and Indiana are the most popular.

Essentially, this is a type of license that allows people that live in a non-adjuster licensing state — such as South Dakota or Tennessee— the opportunity to “designate” a different state (e.g., Florida, Texas, etc.) as their “home state.”

This allows them to apply for and obtain a Florida insurance adjuster license as if they were an in-state resident of Florida.

This is beneficial for several reasons, including:

  • Employment – Many potential employers of claims adjusters will look specifically for applicants who are already licensed. Even if they aren’t specifically looking for licensed individuals, they are likely to prefer these over non-licensed applicants (due to the geographical flexibility advantage)
  • Catastrophe (CAT) or Traveling Adjusters – If a non-licensed adjuster wishes to work on CAT claims, there is a good chance that they will need to travel across state lines. To operate in a state other than your home state, you will need to have a reciprocal license in that state. This means that applying for a reciprocity license can only be done if you hold an equivalent license in your own state (such as a DHS license)

The bottom line is this: if you wish to work in insurance claims, you should have a license to do so, and in South Dakota, the only way to do that is to get a designated home state license.

StateRequirement recommends getting a Florida DHS Adjuster License. This is because it has an exceptionally fast application process, short exam structure, and high reciprocity.


You’ve done the work, put in the time and effort, and now hold the key to your own success! We’re proud of you. Take five minutes and celebrate.

What Kind of Insurance Adjuster Will You Be?

There are four main types of insurance adjustersstaff adjusters, independent adjusters, catastrophe adjusters, and public adjusters.

Each of these positions accomplishes essentially the same task: assess the damage to property brought about by some event and make an evaluation of what monetary value the insurance claim should carry.

The big difference between these different types of insurance adjusters is who pays them and, in the case of the public adjuster, who they are advocating for. Another big difference is that staff, independent, public, and catastrophe adjusters don’t need a license to be able to work legally, whereas public adjusters do.

  • Staff Adjuster – Works directly for one insurance company in order to investigate, evaluate, and potentially settle claims
  • Licensed Independent Adjuster – Works for a third-party company, often called an Independent Adjusting Firm, which has been contracted by insurance carriers to help settle their claims
  • Catastrophe (CAT) Adjuster – Can be an independent or staff adjuster who travels to an area that has been largely affected by an event (usually severe weather) and performs claims adjuster services en masse
  • Inside Adjuster – Inside adjusters, sometimes referred to as “desk” or “remote” adjusters, handle claims from an office. They are the policyholder’s main point of contact and the appropriate company official who applies each policy’s terms and standards to the claim
  • Public Adjuster – This is an independent, licensed insurance adjuster that customers choose to hire in order to settle insurance claims. Public adjusters are not hired by insurance companies

South Dakota Division of Insurance Contact Information

Mailing Address:

South Dakota Division of Insurance
124 South Euclid Avenue, 2nd Floor
Pierre, SD 57501

Phone: (605) 773-3563

Fax: (605) 773-5369 


South Dakota Insurance Adjuster License FAQ

How do I get my adjuster license in South Dakota?

Since the state of South Dakota does not license adjusters, you will have to get a DHS license in another state, such as Texas or Florida, if you want to become licensed. For more information on what a DHS license is and why Florida is a popular state for them, make sure to check out our article on the Florida DHS adjuster license.

Does South Dakota require an adjuster license?

No. Adjuster licenses are not mandated by law in South Dakota order to be able to work in claims adjusting. However, many claims adjusters choose to get licensed in another state because it can increase potential work opportunities. To read more about this topic, see our South Dakota Insurance Adjuster License article for more information.

How do I get my insurance license in South Dakota?

No, there is no South Dakota adjuster license available. This means that claims adjusters looking to get licensed need to obtain a DHS adjuster license (designate home state) from a another state to circumvent this. One of the main reasons Texas and Florida are such popular options for DHS licenses is because they have high reciprocity. To find out more about what that is, see our article on Adjuster License Reciprocity.

How much does a property claims adjuster get paid in South Dakota?

The average salary for property claims adjusters in South Dakota typically falls between $42,589—$52,232. However, depending on your specialty and experience, this figure can greatly increase. Make sure to check out our article on How Much Does an Insurance Adjuster Make, as it explores this topic in far more detail.

Should I get an adjuster license as a South Dakota resident?

Despite not being mandatory in order to adjust claims in South Dakota, it’s highly beneficial to get licensed. It makes you more desirable to domestic and foreign employers by ensuring you comply with regulations from a number of different states. Check out our Texas DHS Adjuster License article for more information on one of the most popular choices for South Dakota adjusters.

Ready for more?

Start Studying

Learn More