Ohio Insurance Adjuster License

Written by: Kevelyn Rodriguez

Last updated:

Ohio Insurance Adjuster License

Ohio does not require insurance adjusters to obtain an Ohio adjuster license in order to operate within the state.

Having said that, residents without a license will not be able to operate outside of Ohio or obtain reciprocal licenses from other states, which can be a massive disadvantage.

A good solution to this is a designated home state license — also known as a DHS license.

We recommend getting a DHS license in Florida. This is because a Florida DHS adjuster license has great reciprocity, the quickest application process, and a relatively short insurance adjuster exam.

How to Get Your Insurance Adjuster License in Ohio

Ohio does not offer a resident adjuster license and does not require Ohio residents to hold a license in order to operate as adjusters within the state.

Having said that, getting a license from a different state — known as a DHS license — is often recommended nonetheless.

This is because this license has very few pre licensing education requirements, yet operating without it can handicap you in the long run and significantly limit your employment opportunities.

Designated Home State Insurance Adjuster License

There are several states that offer what is called a Designated Home State license. Having said that, it is important to note that Florida, Texas, and Indiana are the most popular.

Essentially, this is a type of license that allows people that live in a non-licensing state — such as Ohio or Pennsylvania — the opportunity to “designate” a different state (e.g., Florida, Indiana, etc.) as their “home state.”

This allows them to apply for and obtain a Florida insurance adjuster license as if they were an in-state resident of Florida.

This is beneficial for several reasons, including:

  • Employment – Many potential employers of insurance claims adjusters will look specifically for applicants who are already licensed. Even if they aren’t specifically looking for licensed individuals, they are likely to prefer these over non-licensed applicants (due to the geographical flexibility advantage)
  • Catastrophe (CAT) or Traveling Adjusters – If a non-licensed adjuster wishes to work on CAT claims, there is a good chance that they will need to travel across state lines. To operate in a state other than your home state, you will need to have a reciprocal license in that state. This means that applying for a reciprocity license can only be done if you hold an equivalent license in your own state (such as a DHS license)

The bottom line is this: if you wish to work in insurance claims, you should have a license to do so, and in Ohio, the only way to do that is to get a designated home state license.

StateRequirement recommends getting a Florida DHS Adjuster License. This is because it has an exceptionally fast application process, short exam structure, and high reciprocity.


You’ve done the work, put in the time and effort, and now hold the key to your own success! We’re proud of you. Take five minutes and celebrate.

What Kind of Insurance Adjuster Will You Be?

There are four main types of insurance adjustersstaff adjusters, independent adjusters, catastrophe adjusters, and public adjusters.

Each of these positions accomplishes essentially the same task: assess the damage to property brought about by some event and make an evaluation of what monetary value the insurance claim should carry.

The big difference between these different types of insurance adjusters is who pays them, and in the case of the public adjuster, who they are advocating for. Staff, independent, and catastrophe adjusters do not require a license in Ohio, whereas public adjusters do.

  • Staff Adjuster – Works directly for one insurance company in order to investigate, evaluate, and potentially settle claims
  • Licensed Independent Adjuster – Works for a third-party company, often called an Independent Adjusting Firm, which has been contracted by insurance carriers to help settle their claims
  • Catastrophe (CAT) Adjuster – Can be an independent or staff adjuster who travels to an area that has been largely affected by an event (usually severe weather) and performs claims adjuster services en masse
  • Inside Adjuster – Inside adjusters, sometimes referred to as “desk” or “remote” adjusters, handle claims from an office. They are the policyholder’s main contact and the person who applies the policy terms and standards to the claim
  • Public Adjuster – This is an independent insurance adjuster that customers choose to hire in order to settle insurance claims. Public adjusters are not hired by insurance companies

Ohio Public Adjuster License

In order to obtain an Ohio public adjuster license, you will need to file a public insurance adjuster application with the Ohio Department of Insurance.

This can be done online through NIPR or via mail (Form INS3214).

You will also need to pass Ohio’s public adjuster examination.

Keep in mind that you will need proof of bond in the amount of at least $1,000 payable to the “State of Ohio”. You can submit supporting documents electronically, such as the Ohio Specific Bond form.

The filing fee for your application is $100, which is non-refundable.

Ohio Department of Insurance Contact Information

Mailing Address:

Ohio Department of Insurance
50 W. Town Street, 3rd Floor – Suite 300
Columbus, Ohio 43215

Phone: (614) 644-2658

Fax: (614) 644-3475

Email: licensing@insurance.ohio.gov

Website: https://www.insurance.ohio.gov

Ohio Insurance Adjuster License FAQ

How do I get my adjuster license in Ohio?

You will not need or be able to get an adjuster’s license in Ohio. Even so, you can choose to obtain a license from a different state — known as a designated home state (DHS) license — in order to give yourself more employment opportunities. See our Florida DHS Adjuster License article for more information.

Does Ohio require an adjuster’s license?

No, Ohio does not license independent adjusters. If you want to begin working as an adjuster in Ohio, you will not need to pass a state-sanctioned exam or file an official application with the Department of Insurance. For more information, have a look at our Ohio Adjuster License article.

How much does a property adjuster earn in Ohio?

This will depend on factors such as your experience, certifications, and precise location within Ohio. The current average annual salary for property adjusters in Ohio is $51,222. This range typically varies between $46,507 and $57,040. For more information, have a look at our How Much Does an Insurance Adjuster Make article.

Do I need to pass an exam in order to be an adjuster in Ohio?

No, you do not, unless you want to become a public adjuster. This is because Ohio does not license insurance adjusters. Note: If you plan to obtain a license from a different state regardless, you will be required to take that state’s insurance exam. See our Ohio Insurance License Exam article for more information.

Can I be an Ohio public adjuster?

Yes, as long as you pass the Ohio public adjuster examination (Exam Series 11-38), file an application with the Ohio Department of Insurance, provide proof of bond ($1,000 minimum), and pay the $100 processing fee. See our What Does an Insurance Adjuster Do article for more information on how public adjusters operate.

Ready for more?

Start Studying

Learn More