North Dakota Insurance Adjuster License

Written by: Kevelyn Rodriguez

Last updated:

North Dakota Insurance Adjuster License

Are you considering a career as an insurance adjuster in North Dakota?

This informative North Dakota Adjuster License article provides guidance on how you can get started.

Keep in mind that even though North Dakota does not license insurance adjusters, you will still be able to obtain a license from a different state — known as a designated home state (DHS) license — if you choose to.

This can go a long way in improving your long-term earnings as an adjuster.

We recommend getting a DHS license in Florida. This is because a Florida DHS adjuster license has great reciprocity, the quickest application process, and a relatively short insurance adjuster exam.

How to Get Your Insurance Adjuster License in North Dakota

North Dakota does not offer a resident adjuster license and does not require North Dakota residents to hold a license in order to operate as adjusters within the state.

Having said that, getting a license from a different state — known as a DHS license — is often recommended nonetheless.

This is because operating without a license can handicap you significantly in the long run and will undoubtedly limit your employment opportunities.

Designated Home State Insurance Adjuster License

There are several states that offer what is called a Designated Home State license. It is important to note that Florida, Texas, and Indiana are the most popular.

Essentially, this is a type of license that allows people that live in a non-licensing state — such as North Dakota or Ohio — the opportunity to “designate” a different state (e.g., Florida, Texas, etc.) as their “home state.”

This allows them to apply for and obtain a Florida insurance adjuster license as if they were an in-state resident of Florida.

This is beneficial for several reasons, including:

  • Employment – Many potential employers of insurance claims adjusters will look specifically for applicants who are already licensed. Even if they aren’t specifically looking for licensed individuals, they will likely prefer these over non-licensed applicants (due to the advantage of geographical flexibility)
  • Catastrophe (CAT) or Traveling Adjusters – If a non-licensed adjuster wishes to work on CAT claims, there is a good chance they will need to travel across state lines. To operate in a state other than your home state, you will need to have a reciprocal license in that state. This means that applying for a reciprocity license can only be done if you hold an equivalent license in your own state (such as a DHS license)

The bottom line is this: if you wish to work in insurance claims, you should have a license to do so, and in North Dakota, the only way to do that is to get a designated home state license.

StateRequirement recommends getting a Florida DHS Adjuster License. This is because it has an exceptionally fast application process, short exam structure, and high reciprocity.


You’ve done the work, put in the time and effort, and now hold the key to your own success! We’re proud of you. Take five minutes and celebrate.

What Kind of Insurance Adjuster Will You Be?

There are four main types of insurance adjustersstaff adjusters, independent adjusters, catastrophe adjusters, and public adjusters.

Each of these positions accomplishes essentially the same task: assess the damage to property brought about by some event and make an evaluation of what monetary value the insurance claim should carry.

The big difference between these different types of insurance adjusters is who pays them and, in the case of the public adjuster, who they are advocating for. Staff, independent, and catastrophe adjusters do not require a license in North Dakota, whereas public adjusters do.

  • Staff Adjuster – Works directly for one insurance company in order to investigate, evaluate, and potentially settle claims
  • Licensed Independent Adjuster – Works for a third-party company, often called an Independent Adjusting Firm, which has been contracted by insurance carriers to help settle their claims
  • Catastrophe (CAT) Adjuster – Can be an independent or staff adjuster who travels to an area that has been largely affected by an event (usually severe weather) and performs claims adjuster services en masse
  • Inside Adjuster – Inside adjusters, sometimes referred to as “desk” or “remote” adjusters, handle claims from an office. They are the policyholder’s main contact and the person who applies the policy terms and standards to the claim
  • Public Adjuster – Works as an independent insurance adjuster that customers choose to hire in order to settle insurance claims. Public adjusters are not hired by insurance companies

North Dakota Public Adjuster License

If you wish to get licensed as a public adjuster in North Dakota, you will need to:

  • Pass the public adjuster examination
  • Submit a criminal history record (with fingerprinting)
  • File an official application with the North Dakota Department of Insurance
  • Provide proof of a surety bond ($20,000 minimum)

Note: You will need to pay a $100 fee when filing your application online through the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR).

For more information, have a look at North Dakota’s Insurance Department website.

North Dakota Insurance Department Contact Information

Mailing Address:

North Dakota Insurance Department 
600 East Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505

Phone: (701) 328-2440

Fax: (701) 328-4880



North Dakota Insurance Adjuster License FAQ

How to become an insurance adjuster in North Dakota?

Since North Dakota does not license insurance adjusters, you will not need to follow a specific process in order to become a claims adjuster in the state. This means that you will not need to take an online course, pass a state exam, or file an official application (unless you want to become a public adjuster). See our North Dakota Adjuster License article for more information.

Does North Dakota require an adjuster license?

Unless you are a public adjuster, the state of North Dakota does not require you to hold an insurance license. Even so, residents and business entities will be required to obtain a license from a different state (i.e., a DHS license) if they wish to operate as a designated responsible licensed producer outside of North Dakota. See our Florida Non-Resident Adjuster License overview for more information.

How to get a non-resident insurance license in North Dakota?

Since North Dakota does not license adjusters, you will not be required to obtain a license as a non-resident. If you want to get licensed as an insurance agent, you will need to take a pre-exam education course, pass the relevant North Dakota insurance exam, and file an official application through NIPR ($105.60 processing fee.). See our How to Get a North Dakota Insurance License for more information.

What tools do I need as a North Dakota insurance adjuster?

As a North Dakota insurance adjuster, you will need property estimating and claims management software, accounting and mapping tools, and navigation apps. When it comes to your marketing strategy, you will also want to invest in a social media tool that will handle your weekly posts. For more information, see our Insurance Adjuster Tools overview.

Ready for more?

Start Studying

Learn More