Nebraska Insurance Adjuster License

Written by: Kevelyn Rodriguez

Last updated:

Nebraska Insurance Adjuster License

Are you considering a career as an insurance adjuster in Nebraska? Our informative Nebraska Adjuster License article provides valuable insights and guidance on getting started.

Interestingly, Nebraska does not license insurance adjusters. This means that you will not need to obtain a license in order to begin working.

Having said that, we recommend acquiring a designated home state (DHS) license regardless so that you’re able to operate outside of Nebraska.

We recommend getting a DHS license in Florida. This is because a Florida DHS adjuster license has great reciprocity, the quickest application process, and a relatively short insurance adjuster exam.

How to Get Your Insurance Adjuster License in Nebraska

Nebraska does not offer a resident adjuster license and does not require Nebraska residents to hold a license in order to operate as adjusters within the state.

Having said that, getting a license from a different state — known as a DHS license — is often recommended.

This is because operating without a license can handicap you significantly in the long run and will undoubtedly limit your employment opportunities.

Designated Home State Insurance Adjuster License

There are several states that offer what is called a Designated Home State license. Having said that, it is important to note that Florida, Texas, and Indiana are the most popular.

Essentially, this is a type of license that allows people that live in a non-licensing state — such as Nebraska or Massachusetts — the opportunity to “designate” a different state (e.g., Florida, Texas, etc.) as their “home state.”

This allows them to apply for and obtain a Florida insurance adjuster license as if they were an in-state resident of Florida.

This is beneficial for several reasons, including:

  • Employment – Many potential employers of insurance claims adjusters will look specifically for applicants who are already licensed. Even if they aren’t specifically looking for licensed individuals, they are likely to prefer these over non-licensed applicants (due to the geographical flexibility advantage)
  • Catastrophe (CAT) or Traveling Adjusters – If a non-licensed adjuster wishes to work on CAT claims, there is a good chance that they will need to travel across state lines. To operate in a state other than your home state, you will need to have a reciprocal license in that state. This means that applying for a reciprocity license can only be done if you hold an equivalent license in your own state (such as a DHS license)

The bottom line is this: if you wish to work in insurance claims, you should have a license to do so, and in Nebraska, the only way to do that is to get a designated home state license.

StateRequirement recommends getting a Florida DHS Adjuster License. This is because it has an exceptionally fast application process, short exam structure, and high reciprocity.


You’ve done the work, put in the time and effort, and now hold the key to your own success! We’re proud of you. Take five minutes and celebrate.

What Kind of Insurance Adjuster Will You Be?

There are four main types of insurance adjustersstaff adjusters, independent adjusters, catastrophe adjusters, and public adjusters.

Each of these positions accomplishes essentially the same task: assess the damage to property brought about by some event and make an evaluation of what monetary value the insurance claim should carry.

The big difference between these different types of insurance adjusters is who pays them, and in the case of the public adjuster, who they are advocating for. Staff, independent, and catastrophe adjusters do not require a license in Nebraska, whereas public adjusters do.

  • Staff Adjuster – Works directly for one insurance company in order to investigate, evaluate, and potentially settle claims
  • Licensed Independent Adjuster – Works for a third-party company, often called an Independent Adjusting Firm, which has been contracted by insurance carriers to help settle their claims
  • Catastrophe (CAT) Adjuster – Can be an independent or staff adjuster who travels to an area that has been largely affected by an event (usually severe weather) and performs claims adjuster services en masse
  • Inside Adjuster – Inside adjusters, sometimes referred to as “desk” or “remote” adjusters, handle claims from an office. They are the policyholder’s main contact and the person who applies the policy terms and standards to the claim
  • Public Adjuster – This is an independent insurance adjuster that customers choose to hire in order to settle insurance claims. Public adjusters are not hired by insurance companies

Nebraska Public Adjuster License

In accordance with the Nebraska Department of Insurance website, residents will need to satisfy the following requirements in order to obtain a public adjuster license:

  • Must have a principal place of residence or business in Nebraska
  • Must pay a $50 application fee
  • Must not have committed any act that is grounds for denial (Neb. Rev. Stat. § 44-9211)
  • Must have passed the public adjuster licensing examination
  • Must have an office in Nebraska with public access during regular business hours

Moreover, you will need to be “trustworthy, reliable, and of good reputation,” and prove that you are financially stable via a $20,000 Surety Bond.

Note: You can file your application online via the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR) or via mail.

Nebraska Department of Insurance Contact Information

Physical Address:

Nebraska Department of Insurance
1526 K St., Suite 200
Lincoln, NE 68508-2734

Mailing Address:

P.O. Box 82089
Lincoln, Nebraska 68501-2089

Phone: (402) 471-4913

Fax: (402) 471-6559



Nebraska Insurance Adjuster License FAQ

How do I become an insurance adjuster in Nebraska?

You will not need to pass a Nebraska insurance adjuster exam, take a course, or file an official application in order to become an insurance adjuster in Nebraska. Having said that, this will not be the case if you want to operate outside of the state, as you will need to get a DHS license from any state that you want to work in.

Does Nebraska require an adjuster license?

No, it does not. This is because the Nebraska Department of Insurance does not license its adjusters. Even so, getting a license from a different state (i.e., a Florida DHS adjuster license) is often recommended. 
This is because it can significantly increase your earnings as an adjuster.

How many questions is the Nebraska insurance exam?

This will depend on the exam that you are taking. For example, the Nebraska Life and Annuities, Accident and Health, or Sickness exam contains 150 questions. The Property and Casualty examination also contains 150 questions. For more information, have a look at our Nebraska Insurance License Exam article.

How much is an insurance license in Nebraska?

If you want to become licensed as an insurance agent — or as a public adjuster — you will need to pay a $50 processing fee when filing your application. Having said that, the total cost is likely to be significantly higher, as you will need to pay for a pre-licensing course, state insurance exam, and background check. See our Nebraska Insurance License article for more information.

Do I need a pre-license insurance course in Nebraska?

No, you don’t, unless you want to become licensed as a public adjuster. This is because the state of Nebraska does not license any other type of insurance adjuster. Having said that, you will still need to purchase an online course (i.e., AdjusterPro) in order to obtain a DHS license from a different state.

Ready for more?

Start Studying

Learn More