Massachusetts Insurance Adjuster License

Written by: Kevelyn Rodriguez

Last updated:

Massachusetts Insurance Adjuster License

Massachusetts does not license its insurance adjusters.

This means that you will not need to obtain a license in order to become an insurance adjuster and begin working in the state.

Having said that, operating without a license comes with several limitations, which is why most Massachusetts residents choose to obtain a license from a different state — known as a designated home state (DHS) license.

We recommend getting a DHS license in Florida. This is because a Florida DHS adjuster license has great reciprocity, the quickest application process, and a relatively short insurance adjuster exam.

How to Get Your Insurance Adjuster License in Massachusetts

Massachusetts does not license insurance adjusters and does not require Massachusetts residents to hold a license in order to operate as adjusters within the state.

Having said that, getting a license from a different state — known as a DHS license — is often recommended.

This is because operating without a license can handicap you significantly in the long run and will undoubtedly limit your employment opportunities.

Designated Home State Insurance Adjuster License

There are several states that offer what is called a Designated Home State license. Having said that, it is important to note that Florida, Texas, and Indiana are the most popular.

Essentially, this is a type of license that allows people that live in a non-licensing state — such as Massachusetts or New Jersey — the opportunity to “designate” a different state (e.g., Florida, Texas, etc.) as their “home state.”

This allows them to apply for and obtain a Florida insurance adjuster license as if they were an in-state resident of Florida.

This is beneficial for several reasons:

  • Employment – Many potential employers of claims adjusters will look specifically for applicants who are already licensed. Even if they aren’t specifically looking for licensed individuals, they are likely to prefer these over non-licensed applicants (due to the geographical flexibility advantage)
  • Catastrophe (CAT) or Traveling Adjusters – If a non-licensed adjuster wishes to work on CAT claims, there is a good chance that they will need to travel across state lines. To operate in a state other than your home state, you will need to have a reciprocal license in that state. This means that applying for a reciprocity license can only be done if you hold an equivalent license in your own state (such as a DHS license)

The bottom line is this: if you wish to work in insurance claims, you should have a license to do so, and in Massachusetts, the only way to do that is to get a designated home state license.

StateRequirement recommends getting a Florida DHS Adjuster License. This is because it has an exceptionally fast application process, short exam structure, and high reciprocity.


You’ve done the work, put in the time and effort, and now hold the key to your own success! We’re proud of you. Take five minutes and celebrate.

What Kind of Insurance Adjuster Will You Be?

There are four main types of insurance adjustersstaff adjusters, independent adjusters, catastrophe adjusters, and public adjusters.

Each of these positions accomplishes essentially the same task: assess the damage to property brought about by some event and make an evaluation of what monetary value the insurance claim should carry.

The big difference between these different types of insurance adjusters is who pays them and, in the case of the public adjuster, who they are advocating for. Staff, independent, and catastrophe adjusters do not require a license in Massachusetts, whereas public adjusters do. 

  • Staff Adjuster – Works directly for one insurance company in order to investigate, evaluate, and potentially settle claims
  • Licensed Independent Adjuster – Works for a third-party company, often called an Independent Adjusting Firm, which has been contracted by insurance carriers to help settle their claims
  • Catastrophe (CAT) Adjuster – Can be an independent or staff adjuster who travels to an area that has been largely affected by an event (usually severe weather) and performs claims adjuster services en masse
  • Inside Adjuster – Inside adjusters, sometimes referred to as “desk” or “remote” adjusters, handle claims from an office. They are the policyholder’s main contact and the person who applies the policy terms and standards to the claim
  • Public Adjuster – Is an independent licensed insurance adjuster that customers choose to hire in order to settle insurance claims. Public adjusters are not hired by insurance companies

Massachusetts Public Insurance Adjuster’s License

In Massachusetts, you will need to satisfy a plethora of requirements in order to qualify for a public adjuster license. These requirements are set out in statute M.G.L. c. 175 § 172

All in all, you will need to:

  • Have had two or more years of experience performing services that relate to property insurance adjusting before filing an application
  • Be at least 21 years old
  • Take (and pass) the insurance adjuster licensing examination (administered via Prometric)
  • Never have had your insurance license revoked or suspended in the past

Alongside your Public Insurance Adjuster License application, you will need to submit an original passing score report, two passport-sized photos (taken within 60 days of the date of your application), and a written contract.

The name on the public insurance adjuster’s contract must be the same as the name you provide on your application.

For more information, have a look at Massachusetts’ Division of Insurance Public Insurance Adjuster page.

Note: A $200 fee will need to be paid when filing your application.

Massachusetts Department of Insurance Contact Information

Mailing Address:

Commonwealth of Massachusetts Division of Insurance 
1000 Washington St., Suite 810
Boston, Massachusetts 02118

Phone: (617) 521-7794

Fax: (617) 753-6883



Massachusetts Insurance Adjuster License FAQ

Does Massachusetts require an adjuster’s license?

No it does not. Massachusetts does not require its residents to obtain a license in order to practice insurance claims adjusting; this is the case with several other states as well, such as New Jersey and Ohio. Having said that, Massachusetts residents can still choose to obtain a license from a different state, known as a designated home state (DHS) license.

How do I get an adjuster’s license in Massachusetts?

In order to get an adjuster’s license in Massachusetts, you will need to obtain a DHS license from a different state — such as Indiana, Texas, or Florida. We recommend going with a Florida DHS license due to the fast application process, low cost, and high reciprocity. See our Florida DHS License article for more information.

How much does a claims adjuster earn in Massachusetts?

This will depend on several factors, such as your experience, qualifications, and specialty. Having said that, the average base salary for insurance claims adjusters in Massachusetts is currently $59,232.  For more information, have a look at our How Much Does an Insurance Adjuster Make article.

How much can a Massachusetts public adjuster charge?

According to the Massachusetts Division of Insurance website, licensed public insurance adjusters are permitted to charge a fee of up to 10% of the total recovery fee that will be received from the insurer. Keep in mind that public adjusters do not work for — and are not affiliated with — any particular insurer while providing their services. For more information, have a look at our What Is an Insurance Adjuster article.

Will I need to renew my Massachusetts adjuster license?

No you will not. This is because Massachusetts does not offer a resident insurance adjuster license. Having said that, you will need to renew any license that you receive from a different state, such as Florida. For more information, have a look at our Florida Adjuster Renewal article.

Ready for more?

Start Studying

Learn More