Maryland Insurance Adjuster License

Written by: Kevelyn Rodriguez

Last updated:

If you live in Maryland, you will not need to obtain a Maryland adjuster license in order to begin operating.

Even so, you will likely benefit from acquiring a non-resident license from a different state — known as a designated home state or DHS license.

This is because a DHS license will allow you to work outside of Maryland, as well as obtain reciprocal state licenses without passing an exam.

We recommend getting a DHS license from Florida. This is because a Florida DHS adjuster license has great reciprocity, the quickest application process, and a relatively short insurance adjuster exam.

How to Get Your Insurance Adjuster License in Maryland

Maryland does not offer a resident adjuster license and does not require Maryland residents to hold a license in order to operate as adjusters within the state.

Having said that, getting a license from a different state — known as a DHS license — is often recommended nonetheless.

This is because operating without a license can handicap you significantly in the long run and will undoubtedly limit your employment opportunities.

Designated Home State Insurance Adjuster License

There are several states that offer what is called a Designated Home State license. Having said that, it is important to note that Florida, Texas, and Indiana are the most popular.

Essentially, this is a type of license that allows people that live in a non-licensing state — such as Maryland or New Jersey — the opportunity to “designate” a different state (e.g., Florida, etc.) as their “home state”.

This allows them to apply for and obtain a Florida insurance adjuster license as if they were an in-state resident of Florida.

This is beneficial for several reasons, including:

  • Employment – Many potential employers of claims adjusters will look specifically for applicants who are already licensed. Even if they aren’t specifically looking for licensed insurance professionals, they are likely to prefer these over non-licensed applicants (due to the geographical flexibility advantage).
  • Catastrophe (CAT) or Traveling Adjusters – If a non-licensed insurance adjuster wishes to work on CAT claims, there is a good chance that they will need to travel across state lines. To operate in a state other than your home state, you will need to have a reciprocal license in that state. This means that applying for a reciprocity license can only be done if you hold an equivalent license in your own state (such as a DHS license).

The bottom line is this: if you wish to work in insurance claims, you should have a license to do so, and in Maryland, the only way to do that is to get a designated home state license.

StateRequirement recommends getting a Florida DHS Adjuster License. This is because it has an exceptionally fast application process, short exam structure, and high reciprocity.


You’ve done the work, put in the time and effort, and now hold the key to your own success!  We’re proud of you. Take five (5) minutes and celebrate.

What Kind of Insurance Adjuster Will You Be?

There are four types of insurance adjusters in Maryland: staff adjusters, independent adjusters, catastrophe adjusters, and public adjusters.

Each of these positions accomplishes essentially the same task, which involves assessing the damage to property brought about by some event and making an evaluation in relation to what the insurance claim should be.

The big difference between these different types of insurance adjusters is who pays them, as well as who they are advocating for (in the case of public adjusters). Staff, independent, and catastrophe adjusters are not required to obtain a license in Maryland, whereas public adjusters are.

  • Staff Adjuster – Works directly for one insurance company in order to investigate, evaluate, and potentially settle claims.
  • Licensed Independent Adjuster – Works for a third-party company, often called an Independent Adjusting Firm, which has been contracted by insurance carriers to help settle their claims.
  • Catastrophe (CAT) Adjuster – Can be an independent or staff adjuster who travels to an area that has been largely affected by an event (usually severe weather) and performs claims adjuster services en masse.
  • Inside Adjuster – Inside adjusters, sometimes referred to as “desk” or “remote” adjusters, handle claims from an office. They are the policyholder’s main contact and the person who applies the policy terms and standards to the claim.
  • Public Adjuster – Is an independent insurance adjuster that customers choose to hire in order to settle insurance claims. Public adjusters are not hired by insurance companies.

Maryland Public Adjuster 

You will need to pass a state licensing exam — as well as file an official application with the Maryland Insurance Administration — in order to become licensed as a public adjuster within the state of Maryland.

In order to schedule your exam, you will need an eligibility number, which you will receive after submitting a Pre-Licensing Education Waiver form and indicating that your request is for a public adjuster license.

Once you have your eligibility number, you will be able to schedule your exam via Prometric’s website.

Finally, you will need to submit the NAIC Uniform Individual Application online and pay a $50 application fee.

Note: Your exam results will remain valid for six months.

Maryland Department of Insurance Contact Information

Mailing Address:

Maryland Insurance Administration
200 Saint Paul Place, Suite 2700
Baltimore, Maryland 21202

Phone: (410) 468-2411

Fax: (410) 468-2399



Maryland Insurance Adjuster License FAQ

How do I get a claims adjuster license in Maryland?

You cannot get a resident adjuster license in Maryland (unless you are trying to become a public adjuster). If you want to get a license, you will need to get a designated home state license — also known as a DHS license — from a different state. This can be a good idea from a reciprocal adjuster license point of view.

Does Maryland require an adjuster license?

No it does not; Maryland does not license insurance adjusters. You will be able to begin working in Maryland without taking a pre-licensing course, taking an exam, or filing an official application with the Insurance Administration. Having said that, you will likely benefit from acquiring a “non-resident” license from a different state, such as Florida. See our Florida Non-Resident Adjuster License article for detailed licensing instructions.

How much does a claims adjuster earn in Maryland?

This will depend on several factors, such as your certifications, experience, and exact location. Having said that, the average annual salary of a claims adjuster in Maryland is currently $63,765. Check out our How Much Does an Insurance Adjuster Make article for more information.

What does a Maryland adjuster do?

This will depend on the type of adjuster. Having said that, a Maryland adjuster is — generally speaking — an individual or business entity that is responsible for assessing property damage and/or personal injuries and offering evaluations in relation to how much an insurance company should reward a policyholder. See our What Does an Insurance Adjuster Do article for more information.

Can a contractor be a public adjuster in Maryland?

Yes, as long as they are licensed as a public adjuster within Maryland. If a contractor is not licensed, they will not be able to carry out public adjuster-related tasks, such as offering appraisals and evaluations, advocating on behalf of a customer, and preparing insurance claims. For more information on how adjusters operate, see our Insurance Agent vs. Adjuster comparison.

Ready for more?

Start Studying

Learn More