Kansas Insurance Adjuster License

Written by: Kevelyn Rodriguez

Last updated:

Kansas Insurance Adjuster License

You will not be required to obtain a Kansas adjuster license in order to operate as an adjuster within the state.

Even so, you will likely benefit from getting a designated home state license (i.e., DHS license) from another state — such as Florida, Texas, or Indiana.

This is because having a DHS license will allow you to work outside the state of Kansas, as well as apply for reciprocal licenses.

We recommend getting a DHS license in Florida. This is because a Florida DHS adjuster license has great reciprocity, the quickest application process, and a relatively short insurance adjuster exam.

How to Get Your Insurance Adjuster License in Kansas

Kansas does not offer a resident adjuster license and does not require Kansas residents to hold a license in order to operate as adjusters within the state.

Having said that, getting a license from a different state — known as a DHS license — is often recommended nonetheless.

This is because operating without a license can handicap you significantly in the long run and will undoubtedly limit your employment opportunities.

Designated Home State Insurance Adjuster License

There are several states that offer what is called a Designated Home State license. Having said that, it is important to note that Florida, Texas, and Indiana are the most popular.

Essentially, this is a type of license that allows people that live in a non-licensing state — such as Kansas or Iowa — the opportunity to “designate” a different state (e.g., Florida, etc.) as their “home state”.

This allows them to apply for and obtain a Florida insurance adjuster license as if they were an in-state resident of Florida.

This is beneficial for several reasons, including:

  • Employment – Many potential employers of claims adjusters will look specifically for applicants who are already licensed. Even if they aren’t specifically looking for licensed individuals, they are likely to prefer these over non-licensed applicants (due to the geographical flexibility advantage).
  • Catastrophe (CAT) or Traveling Adjusters – If a non-licensed adjuster wishes to work on CAT claims, there is a good chance that they will need to travel across state lines. To operate in a state other than your home state, you will need to have a reciprocal license in that state. This means that applying for a reciprocity license can only be done if you hold an equivalent license in your own state (such as a DHS license).

The bottom line is this: if you wish to work in insurance claims, you should have a license to do so, and in Kansas, the only way to do that is to get a designated home state license.

StateRequirement recommends getting a Florida DHS Adjuster License. This is because it has an exceptionally fast application process, short exam structure, and high reciprocity.


You’ve done the work, put in the time and effort, and now hold the key to your own success!  We’re proud of you. Take five (5) minutes and celebrate.

What Kind of Insurance Adjuster Will You Be?

There are four main types of insurance adjusters in Kansas: staff adjusters, independent adjusters, catastrophe adjusters, and public adjusters.

Each of these positions accomplishes essentially the same task, which involves assessing the damage to property brought about by some event and making an evaluation in relation to what the insurance claim should be.

The big difference between these different types of insurance adjusters is who pays them, and in the case of the public adjuster, who they are advocating for. Staff, independent, and catastrophe adjusters are not required to obtain a license in Kansas, whereas public adjusters are.

  • Staff Adjuster – Works directly for one insurance company in order to investigate, evaluate, and potentially settle claims.
  • Licensed Independent Adjuster – Works for a third-party company, often called an Independent Adjusting Firm, which has been contracted by insurance carriers to help settle their claims.
  • Catastrophe (CAT) Adjuster – Can be an independent or staff adjuster who travels to an area that has been largely affected by an event (usually severe weather) and performs claims adjuster services en masse.
  • Inside Adjuster – Inside adjusters, sometimes referred to as “desk” or “remote” adjusters, handle claims from an office. They are the policyholder’s main contact and the person who applies the policy terms and standards to the claim.
  • Public Adjuster – Is an independent insurance adjuster that customers choose to hire in order to settle insurance claims. Public adjusters are not hired by insurance companies.

Kansas Public Adjuster License

In order to become a public adjuster in Kansas, you will need to satisfy the following requirements:

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Take and pass the Kansas insurance adjuster exam (administered by Pearson VUE)
  • Apply for tax clearance from the Kansas Department of Revenue and submit it to the Department alongside your license application
  • Submit the NAIC Uniform Application for Individual Adjuster via the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR)

Keep in mind that you will need to pay a $100 application fee, as well as a $50 fingerprinting when filing your application.

Kansas Department of Insurance Contact Information

Attn: Producers Division
420 Southwest 9th Street
Topeka Kansas, 66612

Phone: (785) 296-7862

Fax: (785) 368-7019

Email: licensing@ksinsurance.org

Website: http://www.ksinsurance.org

Kansas Insurance Adjuster License FAQ

How do I get my insurance adjuster license in Kansas?

Since Kansas does not license insurance adjusters, you will not be able to apply for an adjuster license within the state. Having said that, you will be able to get a “designated home state” license — known as a DHS license — from another state by satisfying all of the procedural requirements of that state. See our Florida DHS Adjuster License for more information.

Does Kansas require an adjuster license?

No, it doesn’t. Unless you want to operate as a public adjuster in Kansas, you will not be required to pass a state licensing exam or obtain a license in order to begin working. Nonetheless, getting a “non-resident license” from another state is often recommended since it will allow you to operate outside of Kansas. See our Adjuster License Reciprocity article for more information.

Are public adjusters allowed in Kansas?

Yes. If you want to obtain a Kansas public adjuster license, you will need to pass the public adjuster examination that is administered by Pearson VUE, apply for a tax clearance, and submit the NAIC Uniform Application for Individual Adjuster via NIPR.

Should I get a license as a Kansas adjuster?

Yes you should. Even though getting a license is not required within the state, getting a DHS license from another state can be essential when it comes to operating outside of Kansas. This is because it will allow you to obtain additional licenses via reciprocity. See our Kansas Adjuster License article for more information.

How much does it cost to become an insurance adjuster in Kansas?

This will depend on whether you choose to get a DHS license from a different state, as well as on whether you purchase any insurance adjuster tools. This is because Kansas does not require most of its adjusters to obtain a license, meaning that you will not be required to purchase a pre-exam education course, pass a state exam, or file an official application with the state.

Ready for more?

Start Studying

Learn More