Iowa Insurance Adjuster License

Written by: Kevelyn Rodriguez

Last updated:

Iowa Insurance Adjuster License

Even though an Iowa adjuster license is not offered nor required by the state, you will likely benefit from acquiring a designated home state license (known as a DHS license) from another state.

This is because a DHS license can allow you to operate outside of Iowa, and will also allow you to obtain reciprocal licenses from other states.

We recommend getting a DHS license from Florida. This is because a Florida DHS adjuster license has great reciprocity, the quickest application process, and a relatively short insurance adjuster exam.

How to Get Your Insurance Adjuster License in Iowa

Iowa does not offer a resident license and does not require Iowa residents to hold a license in order to operate as adjusters within the state.

Having said that, getting a license from a different state — known as a DHS license — is often recommended nonetheless.

This is because operating without a license can handicap you significantly in the long run and will undoubtedly limit your employment opportunities.

Designated Home State Insurance Adjuster License

There are several states that offer what is called a Designated Home State license. Having said that, it is important to note that Florida, Texas, and Indiana are the most popular.

Essentially, this is a type of license that allows people that live in a non-licensing state or district — such as Iowa or the District of Columbia — the opportunity to “designate” a different state (e.g., Florida, etc.) as their “home state”.

This allows them to apply for and obtain a Florida insurance adjuster license as if they were an in-state resident of Florida.

This is beneficial for several reasons, including:

  • Employment – Many potential employers of claims adjusters will look specifically for applicants who are already licensed. Even if they aren’t specifically looking for a licensed insurance adjuster, they will likely prefer one over a non-licensed alternative (due to the geographical flexibility advantage)
  • Catastrophe (CAT) or Traveling Adjusters – If a non-licensed adjuster wishes to work on CAT claims, there is a good chance that they will need to travel across state lines. To operate in a state other than your home state, you will need to have a reciprocal license in that state. This means that applying for a reciprocity license can only be done if you hold an equivalent license in your own state (such as a DHS license).

The bottom line is this: if you wish to work in insurance claims, you should have a license to do so, and in Iowa, the only way to do that is to get a designated home state license.

StateRequirement recommends getting a Florida DHS Adjuster License. This is because it has an exceptionally fast application process, short exam structure, and high reciprocity.


You’ve done the work, put in the time and effort, and now hold the key to your own success!  We’re proud of you. Take five (5) minutes and celebrate.

What Kind of Insurance Adjuster Will You Be?

There are four main types of insurance adjustersstaff adjusters, independent adjusters, catastrophe adjusters, and public adjusters.

Each of these positions accomplishes essentially the same task: assess the damage to property brought about by some event and make an evaluation of what monetary value the insurance claim should carry.

The big difference between these different types of insurance adjusters is who pays them and, in the case of the public adjuster, who they are advocating for. Staff, independent, and catastrophe adjusters do not require a license in Iowa, whereas public adjusters do.

  • Staff Adjuster – Works directly for one insurance company in order to investigate, evaluate, and potentially settle claims.
  • Licensed Independent Adjuster – Works for a third-party company, often called an Independent Adjusting Firm, which has been contracted by insurance carriers to help settle their claims.
  • Catastrophe (CAT) Adjuster – Can be an independent or staff adjuster who travels to an area that has been largely affected by an event (usually severe weather) and performs claims adjuster services en masse.
  • Inside Adjuster – Inside adjusters, sometimes referred to as “desk” or “remote” adjusters, handle claims from an office. They are the policyholder’s main contact and the person who applies the policy terms and standards to the claim.
  • Public Adjuster – Is an independent insurance adjuster that customers choose to hire in order to settle insurance claims. Public adjusters are not hired by insurance companies.

Iowa Public Adjuster

If you are interested in becoming a resident public adjuster in Iowa, you will need to pass the Public Adjuster Examination that is administered by Pearson VUE (50 scorable questions) and then file an online application through the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR) online system.

Keep in mind that, in accordance with Iowa Code section 522B.5A, you will be required to submit a criminal background check alongside your application.

Note: Your exam results will remain valid for 90 days, meaning that you will need to submit your online application within this time frame in order to be accepted by the Iowa Insurance Division.

Iowa Department of Insurance Contact Information

Mailing Address:

Iowa Insurance Division
Attn: Licensing
601 Locust Street – 4th Floor
Des Moines, Iowa 50309

Phone: (515) 281-7757

Fax: (515) 281-3059



Iowa Insurance Adjuster License FAQ

Does Iowa require an insurance license for adjusters?

No, it does not. Having said that, most Iowa adjusters choose to obtain an adjuster license from another state; this is known as a “DHS” license.
Even though a DHS license is offered by several states, we recommend going with Florida as an Iowa adjuster. See our Florida DHS Adjuster License article for more information.

How do I become an insurance adjuster in Iowa?

You do not need to obtain a license in order to become an insurance adjuster; this is not the same as becoming a resident insurance producer licensed in Iowa). If you want to do this regardless in order to be able to operate in multiple states, then you will need to get a designated home state license — known as a DHS license. This is offered by several states, including Florida and Texas.

What’s the best adjuster licensing course in Iowa?

Since Iowa does not license insurance adjusters, you will not be able to obtain a licensing course (unless you want to prepare for a public adjuster examination). For adjuster licenses from other states, we recommend going with AdjusterPro. This is because you will be able to complete Florida’s and/or Texas’s state examination within the course.  See our AdjusterPro Course review for more information.

What does it take to get an adjuster license in Iowa?

Operating as an insurance adjuster in Iowa can be done without a license, meaning that you can get started without purchasing a pre-exam education course, passing a state licensing exam, or filing an application with the Iowa Insurance Division. Nonetheless, you will likely want to get licensed in a different state in order to get reciprocal licenses from additional states. See our Insurance Adjuster Reciprocity article for more information.

How much does an insurance adjuster make in Iowa?

This will depend on several factors, including each adjuster’s experience and specialty. For example, the average salary for a field claims adjuster in Iowa is $61,864, whereas this was around $53,673 for property claims adjusters. For more information, have a look at our How Much Does an Insurance Adjuster Make article for more information.

Ready for more?

Start Studying

Learn More