Colorado Insurance Adjuster License

Written by: Kevelyn Rodriguez

Last updated:

Colorado Insurance Adjuster License

Colorado residents are not required to obtain a Colorado adjuster license in order to operate legitimately within the state.

Even so, most individuals elect to obtain a “designated home state” license — known as a DHS license — from another state in order to increase their long-term earnings.

We recommend getting a DHS license in Florida. This is because a Florida DHS adjuster license has great reciprocity, the quickest application process, and a relatively short insurance adjuster exam.

How to Get Your Insurance Adjuster License in Colorado

Colorado does not license insurance adjusters and does not require Colorado residents to hold a license in order to operate legally within the state.

Having said that, getting a license from a different state — known as a DHS license — is often recommended nonetheless.

This is because operating without a license can handicap you significantly in the long run and will undoubtedly limit your employment opportunities.

Designated Home State Insurance Adjuster License

There are several states that offer what is called a Designated Home State license. Having said that, it is important to note that Florida, Texas, and Indiana are the most popular.

Essentially, this is a type of license that allows people that live in a non-adjuster licensing state — such as Colorado or Massachusetts — the opportunity to “designate” a different state (e.g., Florida, etc.) as their “home state”.

This allows them to apply for and obtain a Florida insurance adjuster license as if they were an in-state resident of Florida.

This is beneficial for several reasons, including:

  • Employment – Many potential employers of claims adjusters will look specifically for applicants who are already licensed. Even if they aren’t specifically looking for licensed individuals, they are likely to prefer these over non-licensed applicants (due to the geographical flexibility advantage).
  • Catastrophe (CAT) or Traveling Adjusters – If a non licensed adjuster wishes to work on CAT claims, there is a good chance that they will need to travel across state lines. To operate in a state other than your home state, you will need to have a reciprocal license in that state. This means that applying for a reciprocity license can only be done if you hold an equivalent license in your own state (such as a DHS license).

The bottom line is this: if you wish to work in insurance claims, you should have a license to do so, and in Colorado, the only way to do that is to get a designated home state license.

StateRequirement recommends getting a Florida DHS Adjuster License. This is because it has an exceptionally fast application process, short exam structure, and high reciprocity.


You’ve done the work, put in the time and effort, and now hold the key to your own success!  We’re proud of you. Take five (5) minutes and celebrate.

What Kind of Insurance Adjuster Will You Be?

There are four main types of insurance adjustersstaff adjusters, independent adjusters, catastrophe adjusters, and public adjusters.

Each of these positions accomplishes essentially the same task: assess the damage to property brought about by some event and make an evaluation of what monetary value the insurance claim should carry.

The big difference between these different types of insurance adjusters is who pays them and, in the case of the public adjuster, who they are advocating for. Staff, independent, and catastrophe adjusters do not require a license in Colorado, whereas public adjusters do.

  • Staff Adjuster – Works directly for one insurance company in order to investigate, evaluate, and potentially settle claims.
  • Licensed Independent Adjuster – Works for a third-party company, often called an Independent Adjusting Firm, which has been contracted by insurance carriers to help settle their claims.
  • Catastrophe (CAT) Adjuster – Can be an independent or staff adjuster who travels to an area that has been largely affected by an event (usually severe weather) and performs claims adjuster services en masse.
  • Inside Adjuster  Inside adjusters, sometimes referred to as “desk” or “remote” adjusters, handle claims from an office. They are the policyholder’s main point of contact and the appropriate company official who applies each policy’s terms and standards to the claim.
  • Public Adjuster – Is an independent, licensed insurance adjuster that customers choose to hire in order to settle insurance claims. Public adjusters are not hired by insurance companies.

Colorado Public Adjuster License

If you want to become a public adjuster in Colorado, you will be legally required to get licensed.

This entails completing a pre-licensing education course, taking and passing the Colorado Public Adjuster Examination — which is made up of 60 scorable questions — and filing for your license online via Sircon.

Keep in mind that — in accordance with §10-2-417(2), C.R.S. and Colorado Insurance Regulation 1-2-19, you will be required to provide a $20,000 signed Surety Bond from an insurance company and a Power of Attorney when filing your Sircon application.

Note: This can also be submitted via mail, although this will likely significantly delay your application.

Colorado Department of Insurance Contact Information

Mailing Address:

Division of Professions and Occupations
1560 Broadway, Suite 1350
Denver, Colorado 80202

Phone: (303) 894-7499

Fax: (303) 894-7693



Colorado Insurance Adjuster License FAQ

How do I get my adjuster license in Colorado?

Unless you want to qualify as a public adjuster, you will not be required (or able) to apply for an insurance adjuster license in Colorado. This is because Colorado does not license its insurance adjusters. Even so, we recommend getting a designated home state license in another state. See our Florida DHS adjuster license article for more information. 

Does Colorado require an adjuster license?

No, it does not. Colorado residents can operate as insurance adjusters without applying for and/or obtaining a license. Having said that, most individuals choose to obtain a DHS license from another state — such as Texas or Florida — in order to ensure that they can operate outside of Colorado’s borders. See our Colorado Insurance Adjuster License article for more information.

What is a public adjuster in Colorado?

A Colorado public adjuster is a licensed individual that is hired by various policyholders in order to help them through insurance claims processes and ensure that an equitable settlement is reached outside of court. Note: Public adjusters in Colorado are required to obtain a license, unlike other types of insurance adjusters.

How much does a property claims adjuster get paid in Colorado?

As of the most recent data, the average annual salary of a property claims adjuster in Colorado was $55,917. Having said that, you should note that salaries can range significantly depending on your location, degree of education and certifications, and — of course — experience. See our How Much Does an Insurance Adjuster Make article for more information.

Should I get an adjuster license as a Colorado resident?

Yes you should. This is because getting a DHS adjuster license in another state — such as Florida, Texas, or Indiana — will allow you to operate outside of Colorado, which can be essential if you plan to operate as a catastrophe adjuster. Getting a license will also be beneficial from a reciprocity point of view. See our Adjuster License Reciprocity article for more information.

Does Colorado license independent adjusters?

No it does not, Colorado requires licensing for public adjusters only.  Having said that, most individuals choose to obtain an adjuster license from another state — known as a DHS license — regardless. This is because it can be significantly advantageous when it comes to finding and applying for work. For detailed licensing instructions, have a look at our Texas DHS adjuster license article.

Ready for more?

Start Studying

Learn More