Selling pet insurance can be a rewarding career, as it allows you to help pet owners protect their beloved furry family members. Whether you’re an established insurance agent looking to expand your product offerings, or someone considering entering the insurance field, learning how to sell pet insurance effectively is essential.
In this guide, we’ll cover various digital marketing strategies, provide practical tips for selling pet insurance, and discuss the steps needed to become a licensed insurance agent.
How to Sell Pet Insurance Successfully
To succeed in selling pet insurance, you need to have a strong online presence. Digital marketing plays a crucial role in generating leads, building your brand, and ultimately driving sales.
Here are some key digital marketing strategies to help you sell pet insurance more effectively:
Social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter offer a great way to connect with potential customers, showcase your expertise, and share valuable information.
To make the most of social media for selling pet insurance, try to:
- Create engaging content: Share helpful tips, pet care advice, and relevant industry news to show your knowledge and engage your audience
- Use visuals: Eye-catching images and videos of pets can grab attention and encourage shares, likes, and comments
- Interact with your audience: Respond to comments, messages, and questions in a timely manner to build trust and foster relationships
Due to how time-consuming it is to refresh your content often and continually reply quickly to comments or direct messages, many pet insurance companies choose to employ an external service to oversee their social media profiles.
Engaging one of these services not only ensures optimal use of these platforms but also frees up valuable time that can then be strategically invested in other vital aspects of your business.
As a pet insurance agent, we recommend working with Arrow; Arrow uses AI in order to offer up to five personalized posts a week, online traffic boosts, and weekly reporting.
Content marketing involves creating and sharing valuable content to attract and engage your target audience.
For pet insurance sales, consider trying the following:
- Start a blog: Write informative articles about pet health, insurance, and care to educate your audience and showcase your expertise
- Create downloadable resources: Offer free ebooks, checklists, or guides related to pet care and insurance in exchange for visitor contact information
- Guest post on relevant websites: Reach a wider audience by submitting articles to pet-related websites and online publications
Recommended: If you are interested in boost-starting your content marketing campaign, have a look at Sitetrail’s premium press release services.
Pay-per-click (PPC) advertising, such as Google Ads, allows you to place your ads in search results when users search for specific keywords related to pet insurance.
To leverage PPC effectively, make sure to:
- Choose relevant keywords: Use tools like Google Keyword Planner to find high-volume, low-competition keywords related to pet insurance
- Set a budget: Determine how much you’re willing to spend per click and per day to control your advertising costs
- Monitor and optimize: Regularly review your ad performance and make adjustments as needed to improve your campaign results
A great way to boost your PPC ads is to ensure your ad copy is compelling and directly addresses the needs or concerns of your target audience. Highlight your policies’ unique value proposition, include a clear call-to-action (CTA), and create a sense of urgency to encourage clicks.
Building a Website
A professional and user-friendly website is essential for selling pet insurance. Your website should:
- Be visually appealing: Use a clean design with easy-to-read fonts, attractive images, and a consistent color scheme
- Be mobile-friendly: Ensure your website is responsive and accessible on smartphones and tablets
- Include clear calls-to-actions: Encourage visitors to request a quote, contact you, or sign up for your newsletter with prominent CTAs
The advent of website builders has transformed this process of creating a website into an easy, swift, and cost-effective endeavor.
Equipped with user-friendly tools, these builders empower any business owner to create a functional and appealing website without any technical expertise.
We recommend the GoDaddy Website Builder as a small insurance agent company. GoDaddy meets most small business needs while providing an extremely straightforward user experience.
Tips for Selling Pet Insurance
In addition to digital marketing, there are several strategies to help you excel in selling pet insurance:
- Understand the product: Learn about different pet insurance services, coverage options, and exclusions to answer questions and provide accurate information
- Know your audience: Identify your target markets, such as pet owners in a specific age group or those with specific breeds, and tailor your marketing efforts accordingly
- Emphasize the benefits: Highlight the financial protection and peace of mind pet insurance offers, especially in the event of unexpected veterinary bills
- Build relationships: Establish trust with pet owners by being genuine, empathetic, and understanding. Listen to their concerns and tailor your recommendations to their needs.
- Offer excellent customer service: Provide prompt, courteous, and knowledgeable assistance to clients and prospects, which can lead to referrals and repeat business
For more information, we recommend having a look at our How to Sell Insurance article.
How to Become a Pet Insurance Agent
Becoming a pet insurance sales agent involves several steps:
- Obtain a license: Most states require pet insurance agents to be licensed. This typically involves completing a pre-licensing course and passing a state exam.
- Gain product knowledge: Learn as much as you can about pet insurance policies, coverage options, and exclusions. This will help you provide accurate information and answer client questions confidently.
- Find a carrier: Once you’re licensed, you’ll need to find an insurance carrier that offers pet insurance policies. You’ll then apply to become an agent with that carrier.
- Develop a marketing plan: Create a plan to promote your services and reach your target audience, incorporating the digital marketing strategies discussed above.
- Continuous learning: Insurance regulations and policies change often, so it’s important to stay updated. Continuing education courses can help you stay current.
Recommended: For more information, we recommend having a look at our state-specific How to Become an Insurance Agent article.
How to Sell Pet Insurance FAQ
Are pet insurance companies profitable?
Yes, several insurance companies that specialize in pet coverage can be profitable, especially given the increasing pet ownership and awareness of the benefits of pet insurance in the US. However, the overall profitability of a pet insurance company depends on numerous factors including the number of policies sold, the cost of claims, and efficient operations. If you are interested in getting licensed, we recommend having a look at our insurance licensing page.
Is selling insurance lucrative?
Yes, selling insurance can be a highly lucrative career. Insurance brokers often earn commissions on the policies they sell, and successful brokers who build a large client base can earn a substantial income. However, this requires hard work, excellent customer service, and effective use of digital marketing channels like social media, PPC ads, and a professional website.
Who is buying pet insurance?
Pet insurance is typically bought by pet owners as a way of protecting themselves from high veterinary costs. This tends to include owners of both young and older pets, across all demographics, due to the high tendency for accidents at any age. Given this type of insurance is especially popular among millennials and Gen Z pet owners, be sure to tailor your marketing strategies to this.
How big is the pet insurance market in the US?
As of 2022, the pet insurance market in the US was valued at over $9 billion and is projected to grow significantly in the following years due to increased pet ownership and awareness of pet insurance benefits. In fact, many organizations have even opted to make ASPCA Pet Health Insurance available to their workers. See our How to Sell Pet Insurance article for more information.
Is pet insurance a growing industry?
Yes, the pet insurance industry is growing rapidly. Factors such as increased pet ownership, rising veterinary costs, and greater awareness about the benefits of pet insurance all contributed to this growth. This trend is expected to continue as more people begin to see the value in pet insurance, increasing the demand for it and making the industry even stronger in the future.