This article is designed with aspiring insurance agents in mind. We want to provide you with insights into how to sell disability insurance more effectively. Throughout this piece, you’ll find practical strategies and techniques specifically geared toward enhancing your sales and growing your insurance agency.
You’ll learn how to approach selling disability insurance more effectively and gain insights that can be applied directly to your day-to-day work.
How to Sell Disability Insurance Successfully
In our current age, understanding and using digital marketing strategies is key to successful insurance sales. Some of the most effective strategies are explored in more detail below:
Social media is one of the most powerful marketing tools in your arsenal when used correctly. We’ve outlined some of the ways you can make the most of it below:
- Create helpful posts: Share tips on how to stay healthy and safe. This can help people see the value of disability insurance
- Use stories: Share stories of people who were helped by disability insurance. This can make the benefits more real
- Engage with your audience: Respond to comments and messages. This can make people feel valued and heard
Considering how much time is required to keep your profiles updated with fresh and interesting posts, many disability insurance agencies prefer to use the services of social media management professionals.
As a disability insurance agent, we recommend working with Arrow; Arrow uses AI in order to offer up to five personalized posts a week, online traffic boosts, and weekly reporting.
Content marketing is an effective way to share valuable information and demonstrate that you are knowledgeable in this field. Here are a few ways you can get started:
- Write blog posts: Share tips on how to choose the best disability insurance. This can help people make informed decisions
- Create infographics: Use simple images to explain how disability insurance works. This can make complex ideas easier to understand
- Offer free resources: Provide checklists or guides on how to buy disability insurance. This can help people feel more confident in their decision
Recommended: If you are interested in boost-starting your content marketing campaign, have a look at Sitetrail’s premium press release services.
Pay-per-click (PPC) advertising is a popular and cost-effective means of reaching people who are actively searching for disability insurance. Here’s how to maximize its effectiveness:
- Choose the right keywords: Research the highest volume keywords that people search for when they need disability insurance and include these in your ads.
- Create compelling ads: Make your ads stand out by highlighting the benefits of disability insurance.
- Track your results: Monitor the data closely to make informed improvements to your ads and get better results.
The design and aesthetics of your ad play a critical role in grabbing your audience’s attention. Create clean, professional, and visually appealing ads that use high-quality images, readable fonts, and colors that evoke the right emotions.
Building a Website
Creating a professional and visually appealing business website is a great way to share information and connect with customers. Here’s how:
- Make it easy to navigate: Ensure that people can find what they’re looking for quickly and easily
- Include clear information: Explain what long-term disability insurance is and why it should be important to the user
- Offer a way to get in touch: Provide a contact form or phone number so that users can easily reach out to you with any questions they may have
With website builders, anyone can craft a practical and visually appealing website swiftly, effortlessly, and economically, irrespective of their technical prowess.
We recommend the GoDaddy Website Builder as a small insurance agent company. GoDaddy meets most small business needs while providing an extremely straightforward user experience.
Tips for Selling Disability Insurance
Below are some tips you can incorporate into your approach in order to boost your effectiveness in selling disability income insurance:
- Master the product: Understand the intricate details of disability insurance, from its purpose to its benefits. Knowing more about these policies better equips you to convey their importance to potential clients, and makes you appear more trustworthy too
- Know your customers: Successful insurance producers should be able to understand the need to protect a client’s income based on their medical history. The ability to empathize with your clients in this way is crucial in highlighting the relevance of disability insurance in their lives
- Articulate clearly: The insurance world can be complex and often confusing. Therefore, it’s imperative to communicate your knowledge in simple, easy-to-understand terms. Try to avoid using complex insurance jargon — everyday language that resonates with your clients will be far more effective
- Be genuine and compassionate: Honesty and sincerity go a long way in building trust. In turn, showing your potential clients that you genuinely care about their well-being and are committed to helping them secure their financial future often translates into successful sales and long-term client relationships
For more information, we recommend having a look at our How to Sell Insurance article.
How to Become a Disability Insurance Agent
If you aren’t licensed in your state, you will need to do this before you start selling disability insurance products.
Even though the specific process for this can vary from state to state, you will generally need to complete the following steps in order to get a disability insurance license:
- Complete a pre-licensing education course in your state: This is a legal requirement in most states; even where it is not required, we recommend purchasing a course in order to ensure that you pass your exam on your first attempt. This extra step can end up saving you both money and time
- Take your state’s health insurance licensing exam: State insurance exams are generally administered by Pearson VUE, PSI, or Prometric. Line-specific outlines are offered to help with your preparation
- Get a fingerprinting and/or background check: The exact fee for this will be dependent on your state but is generally less than $100
- File an official license application: This can usually be done with your state’s Department of Insurance. This office can also be known as the Division of Insurance, depending on your location
Recommended: For more information, we recommend having a look at our state-specific How to Become an Insurance Agent article.
How to Sell Disability Insurance FAQ
Why would someone buy disability insurance?
Disability insurance provides income protection and monthly expenses (e.g., to cover mortgage payments) if you’re temporarily or permanently disabled. To find out how you can get started selling this policy, be sure to read our How to Become an Insurance Agent article.
What is a disability buy-sell policy?
A disability buy-sell policy is a specific type of insurance that business partners can use to protect their shared interests. If one partner becomes disabled and can’t contribute to the business, this policy provides a predetermined sum of money that can be used to buy out the disabled partner’s share in the business. For more information, see our How Do Life Insurance Companies Make Money article.
How to sell disability insurance?
In order to be able to sell disability insurance, you will first need to pass your state’s health insurance licensing exam and become licensed as an insurance agent. For tips on how to sell disability income insurance more effectively once you’re qualified, we recommend checking out our article on How to Sell Disability Insurance.
Is it hard to make money selling life insurance?
It can be challenging for new insurance professionals to make a lot of money, especially in the early stages of their careers. If you traditionally sell life insurance, you can easily apply similar marketing principles and strategies in order to enhance your sales. However, if you are unqualified and looking to get started, make sure to check out our guide on How to Get Your Insurance License.
Is disability insurance an investment?
While disability insurance doesn’t traditionally fall under the category of an “investment” in the way stocks or bonds do, it can be considered an investment in your financial security. You’re investing in a safety net that provides disability benefits for your essential expenses in the event you are unable to work due to a disability. Despite this, this policy is not that common in the private sector workforce.