How to Get a Property and Casualty License in Washington

Written by: Mary Gerardine

Last updated:

How to Get a Property and Casualty License in Washington

Getting your Washington property and casualty license is the first step toward becoming a P&C insurance agent in Washington.

The Washington Office of the Insurance Commissioner requires you to complete a five-step process to obtain your property & casualty license – from taking the P&C insurance exam to applying for a P&C license.

These steps will take a few weeks to complete so we recommend you bookmark this page so you can use it as a reference throughout the process.

How to Get Your Washington Property and Casualty Insurance License

  1. Complete a Washington Pre-License Education Course (Kaplan – $139)
  2. Take the Washington Licensing Exam (PSI Exams – $52)
  3. Get a Fingerprint-Based Background Check (IdentoGO – $49.25)
  4. Complete a Washington License Application (Washington OIC Online Services or the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR) – $60 application fee + $5.60 NIPR only transaction fee)
  5. Watch for Your Application Results

Property and Casualty Insurance License Washington

Obtaining your Washington P&C license is easy. Just follow these five simple steps to start your journey toward becoming a property and casualty insurance agent. Once you earn this license, check out our guide on how to get your Washington life insurance license as well.

Step 1: Complete a Washington Pre-License Education Course

Before you take the Washington P&C insurance licensing exam, it’s important to make time to acquire the knowledge you’ll need to pass this exam on your first attempt. Completing a pre-license education course will equip you with the necessary information and tools you’ll need to prepare for your exam.

In Washington, you must complete 40 hours of pre-license education for both the property and casualty lines of authority. After completing the course, you’ll need to present a valid photo ID and an original certificate of completion from the approved pre-licensing education provider when you arrive to take your exam. Your course completion certificate will remain valid for 12 months.

A pre-license education course provides very specific industry knowledge that insurance professionals will encounter during the exam. There are very few questions on this test that you can answer with “common sense” information.

You can complete insurance licensing courses on your own schedule and at your own pace when you choose online courses. Taking a pre-license education course will also give you a solid understanding of your duties as a P&C insurance agent.


Doing a pre-licensing education course dramatically increases your chance of passing your exam on your first attempt, which can end up saving you both time and money in the long run. For pre-licensing education, StateRequirement recommends:

4.7 out of 5 starsKaplan Education Company

Step 2: Take the Washington Licensing Exam

After you complete a pre-licensing education course and your own independent study, it’s time to take the Washington P&C license exam.

Washington uses PSI Exams as its official testing service for delivering licensure exams.

The Washington P&C insurance exam:

  • Includes a total of 150 scored questions across 13 sections that cover federal laws and regulations, laws and regulations specific to Washington, general insurance concepts, P&C insurance basics, and different types of P&C policies.
  • Gives you 195 minutes to complete the test. The exam is a proctored test, meaning an official proctor will closely monitor you in a controlled environment.
  • Costs $52, a fee you must pay at the time of reservation by credit card, debit card, or voucher.

Passing the Washington P&C license exam can prove challenging, but taking an exam prep course and following a good study program can help prepare you to pass on your first attempt.

If you happen to fail the Washington P&C insurance exam, you can schedule a time to retake it as soon as 24 hours after your first attempt.


Check out our in-depth insurance exam guide for tips to help you pass on the first attempt.

Step 3: Get a Fingerprint-Based Background Check

After you take the Washington P&C license exam, you must get a fingerprint-based background check fromIdentoGOThe fee for fingerprinting services is $49.25 to cover the cost of comparing your prints against criminal history records.

To set up a fingerprinting appointment, go to the IdentoGO website and click on the “Schedule a New Appointment” button.

IdentoGO will transmit your fingerprints electronically to the Washington OIC.

Step 4: Complete a Washington License Application

Once you pass the P&C insurance exam and complete a fingerprint-based background check, you can apply for your P&C insurance license.

In Washington, you must apply online via the Washington OIC Online Services portal or the NIPRThe application fee is $60 and the transaction fee is $5.60 (for NIPR only).

The Washington OIC will issue a P&C insurance license to individuals who are at least 18 years old and have passed the proper licensing exam. You should submit your completed license application within 180 days of passing the exam.

If you do not submit all of the application requirements (application/fees, fingerprints) within 180 days of passing the exam, you will need to retake the exam.

To apply for a P&C insurance license in Washington, make sure you comply with the insurance licensing requirements as defined under the Washington Insurance Code and the Washington Administrative Code.

If you have any questions or need to forward supporting documents related to your license application, use the Washington OIC’s Contact Form.

Step 5: Watch for Your Application Results

After you complete the previous four steps, the Washington OIC will review your application and background check. It reviews applications in the order it receives them, and this process usually takes three to five business days from the date you submit your application.

Once the Washington OIC finishes reviewing your application, it’ll email you with its decision or ask you to provide more information.

You can print your license from the Washington OIC Online Services portal or the NIPR. There’s no charge to create an account or print a license. If you don’t remember your license number, you can find it by using the Washington OIC Agent Search tool.


You’re now ready to get started as a P&C insurance agent in Washington.

Next Steps After Securing Your Washington Property and Casualty Insurance License

Once you complete the above steps and have your Washington P&C insurance license, here’s what you should pursue next.

Get a Job in the Insurance Field

Once you hold a P&C license, you can consider several different insurance-related careers. The P&C license gives you authorization within your state to sell P&C insurance policies and related products that’ll provide financial protection to your clients against loss or damage.

You can find P&C insurance job postings on our Insurance Jobs Board.

When applying for an insurance-related job, potential employers will request your license number and National Producer Number (NPN).

Complete Continuing Education and Renew Your License

In Washington, you must take 24 hours of continuing education (CE) courses every two years to renew your P&C license. Washington CE requirements state that three of those hours must focus on ethics/consumer protection.

If you have a non-resident license with good standing in your home state, you don’t need to take CE courses in Washington.

You should aim to complete the required CE hours at least 60 days before your license expires. You must apply for your license renewal via the NIPRThe renewal fee is $55. The late fees are as follows: $82.50 (up to 30 days late), $110 (31 to 60 days late), and $165 (61 to 12 months late).

For more detailed information, check out how to renew your license with our Washington insurance license renewal guide.

Washington Office of the Insurance Commissioner Contact Information

Mailing Address:

P.O. Box 40255
Olympia, WA 98504-0255

Phone: (360) 725-7144

Email: Use This Contact Form


Washington Property and Casualty License FAQ

How much does it cost to get a property and casualty insurance license in Washington?

The total cost of getting a property and casualty (P&C) insurance license in Washington is at least $355.85 but can reach nearly $500 based on the type of pre-license education course you choose. The costs include:
Insurance Pre-license Education Course Fee: $139 via Kaplan
Exam Fee: $52 via PSI Exams
Fingerprint-Based Background Check Fee: $49.25 via IdentoGO
Application Fee: $60 via the Washington OIC Online Services portal or the NIPR (plus $5.60 transaction fee)

How long does it take to process a property and casualty insurance license application in Washington?

It will take up to three to five business days for you to become an insurance agent. You’ll receive an email once the Washington OIC reviews your application.

Can I get a temporary property and casualty insurance agent license in Washington?

No. Washington doesn’t provide a temporary P&C insurance license.

Can I get an emergency property and casualty insurance agent license in Washington?

No. An emergency license isn’t available for P&C insurance agents in Washington.

What can I sell with a property and casualty insurance license in Washington?

With a Washington P&C license, you can sell insurance products like homeowners insurance, renters insurance, auto insurance, general liability insurance, and workers’ compensation policies.

How much can you make with a property and casualty insurance license in Washington?

According to ZipRecruiter, P&C insurance agents earn an average salary of between $30,000 and $44,500+ per year. P&C insurance agents who sell homeowners and auto insurance also can earn a 5 percent to 20 percent commission based on policy premiums.

What are the limitations of a Washington property and casualty insurance license?

Unless you have multiple licenses to sell various types of insurance products, having a Washington P&C license only gives you the authority to negotiate and sell P&C insurance policies. You’ll need additional licenses to sell other types of insurance.

Can I cancel my property and casualty license in Washington?

Yes. To cancel your license, send an attached letter with your name, license number, and signature via this contact form. The date the Washington OIC processes your request will be your license-cancellation date.

How hard is it to get a property and casualty insurance license in Washington?

The process is quite simple! Follow the steps above and get started today!

Ready for more?

Start Studying

Learn More