How to Get a Property and Casualty License in Vermont

Written by: Mary Gerardine

Last updated:

How to Get a Property and Casualty License in Vermont

Getting your Vermont property and casualty license is the first step toward becoming a P&C insurance agent in Vermont.

The Vermont Department of Financial Regulation requires you to complete a four-step process to obtain your property & casualty license – from taking the P&C insurance exam to applying for a P&C license.

These steps will take a few weeks to complete so we recommend you bookmark this page so you can use it as a reference throughout the process.

How to Get Your Vermont Property and Casualty Insurance License

  1. Complete a Vermont Pre-License Education Course (Kaplan – $139)
  2. Take the Vermont Licensing Exam (Prometric – $65)
  3. Complete a Vermont License Application (Sircon or the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR) – $60 application fee + $5.60 transaction fee)
  4. Watch for Your Application Results

Property and Casualty Insurance License Vermont

Obtaining your Vermont P&C license is easy. Just follow these four simple steps to start your journey toward becoming a property and casualty insurance agent. Once you earn this license, check out our guide on how to get your Vermont life insurance license as well.

Step 1: Complete a Vermont Pre-License Education Course

Before you take the Vermont P&C insurance licensing exam, it’s important to make time to acquire the knowledge you’ll need to pass this exam on your first attempt. Completing a pre-license education course will equip you with the necessary information and tools you’ll need to prepare for your exam.

While Vermont doesn’t have any formal pre-license education requirements, most insurance professionals opt to take a pre-license education course online. Pre-license education courses are self-paced and include study materials like practice exams and flashcards. Others purchase books or self-study materials to prepare themselves for the exam.

A pre-license education course provides very specific industry knowledge that insurance professionals will encounter during the exam. There are very few questions on this test that you can answer with “common sense” information.

You can complete insurance licensing courses on your own schedule and at your own pace when you choose online courses. Taking a pre-license education course will also give you a solid understanding of your duties as a P&C insurance agent.


Doing a pre-licensing education course dramatically increases your chance of passing your exam on your first attempt, which can end up saving you both time and money in the long run. For pre-licensing education, StateRequirement recommends:

4.7 out of 5 starsKaplan Education Company

Step 2: Take the Vermont Licensing Exam

After you complete a pre-licensing education course and/or your own independent study, it’s time to take the Vermont P&C license exam.

Vermont uses Prometric as its official testing service for delivering licensure exams.

The Vermont P&C insurance exam:

  • Includes a total of 150 scored questions across 10 sections: insurance regulations, general insurance concepts, P&C insurance basics, types of policies specific to P&C, and other coverages and options.
  • Gives you 150 minutes to complete the test. The exam is a proctored test, meaning an official proctor will closely monitor you in a controlled environment.
  • Costs $65, a fee you must pay at the time of reservation by credit card, debit card, or voucher.

Passing the Vermont P&C license exam can prove challenging, but taking an exam prep course and following a good study program can help prepare you to pass on your first attempt.

If you happen to fail the Vermont P&C insurance exam, you can schedule a time to retake it as soon as 24 hours after your first attempt.


Check out our in-depth insurance exam guide for tips to help you pass on the first attempt.

Step 3: Complete a Vermont License Application

Once you pass the P&C insurance exam, you can apply for your P&C insurance license.

In Vermont, you must apply online via Sircon or the NIPRThe application fee is $60 and the transaction fee is $5.60 (for both Sircon and the NIPR).

The Vermont DFR will issue a P&C insurance license to individuals who are at least 18 years old and have passed the proper licensing exam. You should submit your completed license application within 12 months of passing the exam.

To apply for a P&C insurance license in Vermont, make sure you comply with the insurance licensing requirements as defined under the Vermont Insurance Code.

If you have any questions or need to forward supporting documents related to your license application, send them to

Step 4: Watch for Your Application Results

After you complete the previous three steps, the Vermont DFR will review your application. The process usually takes one to five business days from the date you submit your application.

Once it finishes reviewing your application, the Vermont DFR will email you with its decision. If you need to provide more information, a specialist will contact you.

You can print your license from the Sircon or NIPR website. There’s no charge to create an account or print a license.


You’re now ready to get started as a P&C insurance agent in Vermont.

Next Steps After Securing Your Vermont Property and Casualty Insurance License

Once you complete the above steps and have your Vermont P&C insurance license, here’s what you should pursue next.

Get a Job in the Insurance Field

Once you hold a P&C license, you can consider several different insurance-related careers. The P&C license gives you authorization within your state to sell P&C insurance policies and related products that’ll provide financial protection to your clients against loss or damage.

You can find P&C insurance job postings on our Insurance Jobs Board.

When applying for an insurance-related job, potential employers will request your license number and National Producer Number (NPN). You can request a letter of certification, which proves you have a P&C license in Vermont, by visiting the Sircon website. You’ll need to submit this letter along with your job applications.

Complete Continuing Education and Renew Your License

In Vermont, you must take 24 hours of continuing education (CE) courses every two years to renew your P&C license. Vermont CE requirements state that three of those hours must focus on ethics and P&C licensees must take a one-time,three-hour course on the National Flood Insurance Program.

If you have a non-resident license that meets the CE requirements in your home state, you don’t need to take CE courses in Vermont.

You must complete the required CE hours at least 30 days before your license expires. You must apply via Sircon or the NIPRThe renewal fee is $30.

For more detailed information, check out how to renew your license with our Vermont insurance license renewal guide.

Vermont Department of Financial Regulation Contact Information

Mailing Address:

Insurance Division
89 Main Street
Montpelier, VT 05620-3101

Phone: (802) 828-3303



License Search: Vermont Insurance License Lookup

Vermont Property and Casualty License FAQ

How much does it cost to get a property and casualty insurance license in Vermont?

The total cost of getting a property and casualty (P&C) insurance license in Vermont is at least $319.60 but can reach nearly $500 based on the type of pre-license education course you choose. The costs include:
Insurance Pre-license Education Course Fee: $139+ via Kaplan
Exam Fee: $65 via Prometric
Application Fee: $60 application fee + $5.60 transaction fee via Sircon or the NIPR

How long does it take to process a property and casualty insurance license application in Vermont?

It will take up to one to five business days for you to become an insurance agent. You’ll receive an email once the Vermont DFR reviews your application.

Can I get a temporary property and casualty insurance agent license in Vermont?

No. Vermont doesn’t offer temporary P&C licenses at this time.

Can I get an emergency property and casualty insurance agent license in Vermont? 

No. An emergency license isn’t available for P&C insurance agents in Vermont.

What can I sell with a property and casualty insurance license in Vermont?

With a Vermont P&C license, you can sell insurance products like homeowners insurance, renters insurance, auto insurance, general liability insurance, and workers’ compensation policies.

How much can you make with a property and casualty insurance license in Vermont?

According to ZipRecruiter, P&C insurance agents earn an average salary of between $30,000 and $44,500+ per year. P&C insurance agents who sell homeowners and auto insurance also can earn a 5 percent to 20 percent commission based on policy premiums.

What are the limitations of a Vermont property and casualty insurance license?

Unless you have multiple licenses to sell various types of insurance products, having a Vermont P&C license only gives you the authority to negotiate and sell P&C insurance policies. You’ll need additional licenses to sell other types of insurance.

Can I cancel my property and casualty license in Vermont?

Yes. To cancel your license, email an attached letter with your name, license number, and signature to

How hard is it to get a property and casualty insurance license in Vermont?

The process is quite simple! Follow the steps above and get started today!

Ready for more?

Start Studying

Learn More