How to Get a Property and Casualty License in Montana

Written by: Kevelyn Rodriguez

Last updated:

Getting your Montana property and casualty license is the first step toward becoming a P&C insurance agent in Montana.

The Montana Commissioner of Securities and Insurance requires you to complete a five-step process to obtain your property & casualty license – from taking the P&C insurance exam to applying for a P&C license.

These steps will take a few weeks to complete so we recommend you bookmark this page so you can use it as a reference throughout the process.

How to Get Your Montana Property and Casualty Insurance License

  1. Complete a Montana Pre-License Education Course (Kaplan – $139)
  2. Take the Montana Licensing Exam (Pearson VUE – $59)
  3. Get a Fingerprint-Based Background Check (IdentoGO – $54)
  4. Complete a Montana License Application (National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR) – $5.60 transaction fee)
  5. Watch for Your Application Results

Property and Casualty Insurance License Montana

Obtaining your Montana P&C license is easy. Just follow these five simple steps to start your journey toward becoming a property and casualty insurance agent. Once you earn this license, check out our guide on how to get your Montana life insurance license as well.

Step 1: Complete a Montana Pre-License Education Course

Before you take the Montana P&C insurance licensing exam, it’s important to make time to acquire the knowledge you’ll need to pass this exam on your first attempt. Completing a pre-license education course will equip you with the necessary information and tools you’ll need to prepare for your exam.

While Montana doesn’t have any formal pre-license education requirements, most insurance professionals opt to take a pre-license education course online. Pre-license education courses are self-paced and include study materials like practice exams and flashcards. Others purchase books or self-study materials to prepare themselves for the exam.

A pre-license education course provides very specific industry knowledge that insurance professionals will encounter during the exam. There are very few questions on this test that you can answer with “common sense” information.

You can complete insurance licensing courses on your own schedule and at your own pace when you choose online courses. Taking a pre-license education course will also give you a solid understanding of your duties as a P&C insurance agent.


Doing a pre-licensing education course dramatically increases your chance of passing your exam on your first attempt, which can end up saving you both time and money in the long run. For pre-licensing education, StateRequirement recommends:

4.7 out of 5 starsKaplan Education Company

Step 2: Take the Montana Licensing Exam

After you complete a pre-licensing education course and/or your own independent study, it’s time to take the Montana P&C license exam.

Montana uses Pearson VUE as its official testing service for delivering licensure exams. Montana also has separate exams for the property and casualty lines of authority so you’ll need to take both to earn your P&C producer license.

The Montana P&C insurance exam:

  • Includes a total of 82 scored questions (for the property exam) and 87 scored questions (for the casualty exam) that cover two sections: general and state-specific knowledge. The general sections in both exams deal with basic property and casualty insurance product knowledge. The state-specific sections cover P&C insurance concepts and terms, rules, regulations, and practices specific to Montana.
  • Gives you 120 minutes to complete each test for a total of 240 minutes. The exams are proctored tests, meaning an official proctor will closely monitor you in a controlled environment.
  • Costs $59, a fee you must pay at the time of reservation by credit card, debit card, or voucher.

Passing the Montana P&C license exam can prove challenging, but taking an exam prep course and following a good study program can help prepare you to pass on your first attempt.

If you happen to fail either the Montana property or casualty P&C insurance exam, you can schedule a time to retake it as soon as 24 hours after your first attempt. There’s no limit to the number of attempts you can make on the same exam.


Check out our in-depth insurance exam guide for tips to help you pass on the first attempt.

Step 3: Get a Fingerprint-Based Background Check

After you take the Montana P&C license exam, you must get a fingerprint-based background check from IdentoGO. IdentoGO will submit your fingerprint card directly to the Montana Department of Justice, which will forward the card to the FBI. The fee for fingerprinting services is $54 to cover the cost of comparing your prints against criminal history records.

To set up a fingerprinting appointment, go to the IdentoGO website or call (888) 467-2080.

At your fingerprinting appointment, you’ll receive a receipt. Don’t throw it away! Keep the original receipt for your records.

You must complete your fingerprint-based background check and then submit a license application within one year of passing the P&C licensing exam or you’ll need to retake the exam.

Step 4: Complete a Montana License Application

Once you pass the P&C insurance exam and complete a fingerprint-based background check, you can apply for your P&C insurance license.

In Montana, you must apply online via the NIPRThe state doesn’t charge any application fee other than the NIPR processing fee of $5.60.

The Montana Commissioner of Securities and Insurance Department will issue a P&C insurance license to individuals who are at least 18 years old and have passed the proper licensing exam. You should submit your completed license application within 12 months of passing the exam.

To apply for a P&C insurance license in Montana, make sure you comply with the insurance licensing requirements as defined under the Montana Insurance Code.

If you have any questions or need to forward supporting documents related to your license application, send them to

Step 5: Watch for Your Application Results

After you complete the previous four steps, the Montana Commissioner of Securities and Insurance Department will review your application and fingerprint-based background check. This process usually takes two to three business days from the date you submit your application.

Once it finishes reviewing your application, the Montana Commissioner of Securities and Insurance Department will email you with its decision. If you need to provide more information, a specialist will contact you.

You can print your license from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) State Based Systems (SBS) License Manager website. There’s no charge to create an account or print a license. If you don’t remember your license number, you can find it by using the NAIC SBS Lookup Search tool.


You’re now ready to get started as a P&C insurance agent in Montana.

Next Steps After Securing Your Montana Property and Casualty Insurance License

Once you complete the above steps and have your Montana P&C insurance license, here’s what you should pursue next.

Get a Job in the Insurance Field

Once you hold a P&C license, you can consider several different insurance-related careers. The P&C license gives you authorization within your state to sell P&C insurance policies and related products that’ll provide financial protection to your clients against loss or damage.

You can find P&C insurance job postings on our Insurance Jobs Board.

When applying for an insurance-related job, potential employers will request your license number and National Producer Number (NPN). You can request a letter of certification, which proves you have a P&C license in Montana, by visiting the NAIC SBS License Manager website. You’ll need to submit this letter along with your job applications.

Complete Required Continuing Education Credits

In Montana, you must take 24 hours of continuing education (CE) courses every two years to renew your P&C license. Montana CE requirements state that three of those hours must focus on ethics and one hour must focus on Montana insurance statutes and administrative rules.

If you have a non-resident license with good standing in your home state, you don’t need to take CE courses in Montana.

To avoid delays in renewing your license, you must complete the required CE hours at least 90 days before your license expires. There’s no license renewal fee in Montana, but the late fee is $100.

You can’t renew your license until you complete your CE hours and pay any outstanding fines.

For more detailed information, check out how to renew your license with our Montana insurance license renewal guide.

Montana Commissioner of Securities and Insurance Contact Information

Mailing Address:

Office of the Montana State Auditor
840 Helena Ave.
Helena, MT 59601

Phone: (406) 444-2040



License Search: Montana Insurance License Search

Montana Property and Casualty License FAQ

How much does it cost to get a property and casualty insurance license in Montana?

The total cost of getting a property and casualty (P&C) insurance license in Montana is at least $307.60, but can reach nearly $500 based on the type of pre-license education course you choose. The costs include:
Insurance Pre-license Education Course Fee: $139 via Kaplan
Exam Fee: $59 via Pearson VUE
Fingerprint-Based Background Check Fee: $54 via IdentoGO
Application Fee: $5.60 transaction fee via the NIPR

How long does it take to process a property and casualty insurance license application in Montana?

It will take up to two to three business days for you to become an insurance agent You’ll receive an email once the Montana Commissioner of Securities and Insurance reviews your application.

Can I get a temporary property and casualty insurance agent license in Montana?

Yes. Montana provides a 90-day, temporary property and casualty insurance license. The Montana Commissioner of Securities and Insurance may issue a temporary license to an individual qualified for the temporary license only based on age, residence, and trustworthiness and without requiring the individual to take an exam in the following cases:
The applicant is the surviving spouse, next of kin, administrator, executor, or the employee of the administrator or executor, of a licensed insurance producer upon the insurance producer’s death.
The applicant is the spouse, next of kin, employee, or legal guardian of a licensed insurance producer disabled by injury or physical or mental illness.
The applicant is an employee of a partnership or officer or employee of a corporation who’s licensed as an insurance producer upon the death or disability of an individual designated in the license to exercise the powers of an insurance producer.
The applicant is the designee of a licensed insurance producer entering into active service in the armed forces of the United States of America.
In any other circumstance in which the Montana Commissioner of Securities and Insurance finds the public interest will best be served by issuing a temporary license.

Can I get an emergency property and casualty insurance agent license in Montana?

No. An emergency license isn’t available for P&C insurance agents in Montana.

What can I sell with a property and casualty insurance license in Montana?

With a Montana P&C license, you can sell insurance products like homeowners insurance, renters insurance, auto insurance, general liability insurance, and workers’ compensation policies.

How much can you make with a property and casualty insurance license in Montana?

According to ZipRecruiter, P&C insurance agents earn an average salary of between $30,000 and $44,500+ per year. P&C insurance agents who sell homeowners and auto insurance also can earn a 5 percent to 20 percent commission based on policy premiums.

What are the limitations of a Montana property and casualty insurance license?

Unless you have multiple licenses to sell various types of insurance products, having a Montana P&C license only gives you the authority to negotiate and sell P&C insurance policies. You’ll need additional licenses to sell other types of insurance.

Can I cancel my property and casualty license in Montana?

Yes. To cancel your license, email an attached letter with your name, license number, and signature to

How hard is it to get a property and casualty insurance license in Montana?

The process is quite simple! Follow the steps above and get started today!

Ready for more?

Start Studying

Learn More